Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,138   Online: 1060

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beware of the Federal Reserve building right next to South Station, those guys will come out after you. Didn't happen to me but I heard stories about it.

Fan Pier, in South Boston has some nice views http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/plac...p?nid=6&sid=33

Also in the area, Castle Island has an old fort and is accessible by car. http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/metroboston/castle.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pete do u have a date for this shoot yet ? is this going to be towards the end of April ? 3rd week of april for instance ?
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be interested in knowing the date of anything planned ASAP as April is turning out to be a busy month. Also, as I have never been in Red Sox country, I would need a lot of info as to getting there, meeting place, motel, parking, and all the ususal nonsense that an out-of-towner would need. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    as I have never been in Red Sox country, I would need a lot of info
    Well, I wouldn't suggest wearing Yankees clothing, unless you don't mind crass comments. It's gotten annoying, but Sox fans will berate any Yankees fan they see. I only mention this because you're from the NYC area.

As for hotel and everything else - it may depend on exactly where the shooting will take place. Boston itself is not cheap to stay in and parking is also dear. It may make sense for out-of-towners to stay in someplace like Waltham and carpool into Boston proper. I am likely to take the T from Riverside (just south of Waltham) and can meet up with everyone at wherever gets chosen. Boston is a relatively easy city to walk. Since I'll probably have a 35mm and a MF, I won't need a car/pack mule.

April is also getting very busy for me, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have heard that staying in the city is expensive so I figured I would stay somewhere outside the city and drive in for the day. I am open to siggestions and options. Nothing is set in stone.

Thanks,
    James
    [COLOR=Magenta][FONT=Arial Black]Photography is a reflection of one moment in our lives...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, to get this started, I will suggest the time and place for the first "Group Shoot". In my mind, this is different from a workshop in that there is nobody tapped to give handouts or instruction, and the event is very, very unstructured. It's just a time and a place that there will be at least one other APUGGER making photos- people can come and go as their schedule commits. It could also be possible (even likely) that there could be more than one "Group Shoot" location at the same time, to accomodate different locales.

I will also act a "coordinator" for the first event, which, in my mind, means:
    • I will be at the site at the date and time I suggest
    • I will post a description of the location and directions to it well in advance of the date
    • I will leave my cell number (if possible), in case anyone needs a contact person
    • I will vouch for there being interesting (to me, at least) things to take pictures of

I hereby propose the following Group Shoot:
    Boston Marine Industrial Park Saturday, 4/8 8AM-?? This large industrial park includes several ENORMOUS (1/4 mi+ long) buildings. Numerous brick edificies, large concrete towers, many cranes, and, almost incomprehensibly, a small park with benches and trees. It is also on the waterfront, so there are often ships (some quite large), as well as a view of the harbor, Deer Island, and possibly other islands and the airport. If you have never been out to this part of Boston, you will be surprised that you are in Boston at all. The Fort Point Channel area is also a short distance away.
    There is pay parking available, as well as several (about 6) 1.5 hour visitor parking spots outside of the meeting place, 23-25 Drydock Ave (right where EP Levine's is) The whole area will be largely empty on a weekend, and it is unclear to me if any of the 100's of empty parking spots marked "permit only" would be enforced in any way. It seems unlikely.
    A map of the meetup point can be found here, and you should be able to get driving locations from MapQuest.
    My cell phone is 617-218-7597 and I plan to be on-site at 8 AM until 11 or noon at least, although there is no reason for the event to wrap because I depart- the afternoon light out there can be gorgeous.

That being said, the following Springtime weekend days have nothing scheduled yet. Would anyone like to act as coordinator for a Group Shoot at their favorite site? We have had some excellent suggestions on this thread thus far...

4/9
    4/15
    4/16
    4/21
    4/22
    4/29
    4/30
    5/6
    5/7
    5/13
    5/14
    5/20
    5/21

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool Pete! Showing leadership!!

I'll check my schedule.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pete - thanks for taking the lead. Late April and on into May are better dates for me as I am quite busy with VPC stuff until then. And this is about the 3rd or 4th Group Shoot... I seem to remember trees, large rocks and a lot of water. Hmmmm, I wonder where that place is???

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene
    Pete - thanks for taking the lead. Late April and on into May are better dates for me as I am quite busy with VPC stuff until then.
    If nobody jumps on some of the other dates, I will organize other ones in late April or May. I am out shooting almost every weekend in any case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My schedule is clear after the 17th.
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin