Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,510   Online: 762

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As much as I love this site and want to see it grow, it belongs to Sean, therefore the growth and additional revenue should be his concern and work.

And since the revenue from additional "local" advertising and membership would go to the site and Sean's income, why would I want to pay for it? So I can see more photos and come home to 600 unread messages? I will pass.

No offense to anyone, especially Sean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO

I would like to pay a small fee to the pros who are teaching us at the workshops instead of generating revenue for APUG. Sean should worry abt raising enough money to keep the forum alive, like others have pointed out.

Paying the pros who teach at the workshops sounds like a better idea to me rather than raise revenue for the website. They drive long ways, spend time putting together handouts, and bringing all the eqpt and educate us in these workshops, I would not mind paying a little fee for that.
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I would like to see a lot more development with regional groups and have had big plans to re-vamp this area. Each region should have more than a forum, they should have their own little micro-community complete with member list, president, treasurer, image gallery, calendar, etc. It should be doable now that I will have the time I need to work on the site.
    I am all in favor. I've attended *one* such regional meeting, and it was a great experience. I tend to get miserably *bogged down* with commitments... I'm going to work my schedule better in the future... and attend more.
    One problem we have here, and it probably is not unique to anyone on any web site, is that those with repressed anger seem to thrive on the isolation afforded by a keyboard, an infernal machine and LOTS of distance. It is also a characteristic of some of the more well-balanced types to WANT to stay away from fights... and as a result they tend to remain silent.
    It is a *GOOD* thing to meet with others, face to face, and get to know them at a much more ... efficient ... is the word that comes closest... level.
    Hooray for non-verbal communication!
    ...Come to think of it... isn't "non-verbal-ness" one facet of fine art photography?
    Anyway, YAY!!! Keep up the good work, Sean.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by manjo
    IMHO

I would like to pay a small fee to the pros who are teaching us at the workshops instead of generating revenue for APUG.
    "Instead of"?

Whoa! It would be nice if there were *no expenses* associated with APUG (including Sean's commitment) ... but it just isn't so.

Fine, pay the workshop leaders/ instructors ... but that would require funds "in addition to", not "instead of."
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the people from NE would read this...not the world! Anyways, I'm looking at the whole picture, not just apug. I want to be a part of the turn-around of this digital locomotion. It can be done...very slowly. I think the only people who benefit from digital is wedding photogs and journalists who have to beam back an image from half way around the world for tomorrow's paper. the benefit to digital is instant gratification. Its like fast food...it's not good for you. Prepare a meal correctly, using a good recipe, slowly simmer...this is analog photography. It's just more healthy! Slowness is good...look at the results... the makings of fine art photography.

So, it isn't about apug...but what apug stands for. If someone starts another site like apug, i'll support that also...and promote it, but all for the bigger picture - the survival...No growth of film usage and wet processing products. Ok, enough preaching!

have a great day..or night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I am from another Universe, I have been fortunate to spend my life doing the very things that many folks would have loved to get to do. I had wonderful teachers, and folks to learn from, they then as I do now have no desire to "charge a fee for their information". If I know anything that might make some ones journey into the world of photography easier, I am going to share it. I have no interest or desire in using my experience for monitary gain.
    I frankly no longer have a pot to pee in, or a window to throw it out of, but I'll be damned if I will ever charge or expect rembursment for trying to make some one else's road a little less bumpy for them.

I am a bit worried about the rapid growth of APUG, it could very easily become a monster that devours creative people. It has the potential of being many things to many varied photographic interests. This I believe is the "Grabber" for future membership and growth. If APUG continues at the rate it is growing now or even somewhat slower than it is now it could be a very good thing.

My life here on Earth will soon be over, so there is little need for me to worry about the future of film and dark room work or even APUG for that matter but some how I still do. I personally enjoy the APUG Community as it is now, I see little or no need for regional groups or the changes of direction some want to see APUG go. "If it ain't broke dammit quit tryin ta fix it"

Charlie........................................... .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some quick points:

(1) I was helping Manjo at the NE APUG workshop this past Saturday, I could be wrong but maybe English isn't his first language, so cut him some slack on the "instead of". Of course, it could be exactly what he meant, but maybe not. (I still remember being humiliated in my German class when I confused the words for "purse" and "handkerchief" - my instructor, a lean Berliner lady, kept saying "O Wirklich?" as I explained how I carried a purse and sneezed into it.)

(2) I hope Manjo wasn't thinking of me when he said "paying the pros who teach", cause I'm not a professional photographer. We had a battle about paying for polaroid film, and I finally accepted his money, because he insisted.

(3) I'm sympathetic to what Charlie said, except for the "no need for regional groups". The people I've met in NE APUG have been great.

(4) I've been trying to write this fourth point for about an hour now without success. By all means we should organize to keep film material available, but I'm not sure that advertising APUG to people doing digital photography is the way. I think the film people will find us without advertising, and the digital people may be hopeless until they develop carpal tunnel syndrome using photoshop or lose 10000 pictures when a hard drive fails. I have a DSLR and have used it to put together slide shows with music on DVDS as a gift. But for my own work, I'll grab a film camera, and god help me, these days I only seem to be interested in pinhole work....

Enough. There is such a thing as over-organization. Let things develop organically.

Bill
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I for one would hate to see APUG de-globalize into regional cells with presidents, treasures and local web galleries. Of the 11,570 members (up 6 from this morning) how many are subscribers that would make up the down sized functioning world of APUG?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    treasurers? why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    treasurers? why?
    From Sean's post: "they should have their own little micro-community complete with member list, president, treasurer, image gallery, calendar, etc. It should be doable now that I will have the time I need to work on the site."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin