Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,155   Online: 859

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well nothing will be mandatory, I basically wanted to give regional groups the option to develop their group more than just a group forum category by giving them the facility to have a calendar and people in charge of meetings/events if they want to do this. If you have a group of 20 or 30 you might want to pool some funds for local events or to have someone come give a workshop etc (so i mentioned treasurer).

As for growth I think we are growing a little too fast these days with usually over 20 new registrations a day. The rapid growth resulted in me moving to apug full time because I simply couldn't handle apug as a side project. I think 5-10 new signups per day would be a good number but it's not really something I can control. I suppose if things got out of hand and the membership were unhappy we could vote to lock down the site to subscribers only. I think this would have many negative aspects such as shunning 1,000's of film enthusiasts from the site and the cause behind it. I like having our forum content all over the search engines and freely available. I think continued growth is good for our craft and if this many people are signing up a day we'll all be able to shoot film and buy paper for a long time. Showing up every day to 600 new posts may get annoying for some but it's exciting for me, it means traditional photography is still a huge force to be reckoned with and we are alive and kicking

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Showing up every day to 600 new posts may get annoying for some but it's exciting for me, it means traditional photography is still a huge force to be reckoned with and we are alive and kicking
    Ditto..... I agree as well. A large number of posts may be a bother, but one that I am willing to put up with, if it keeps our 'processes' alive.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As someone who may be slightly guilty in getting these regional groups started I may as well pipe in about my philosophy:
    My first goal was to stop existing as a photographer in a vacuum. I wanted to be able to go out with other like-minded film photographers for shoots or museum/gallery visits or just sitting around looking at prints and talking shop. I wanted to just meet other photographers.
    The idea behind this past Saturday's event was photographers teaching photographers that would grow into friends teaching friends. The presenters volunteered their expertise and two of three were from New England and Bob came up from NJ on his own volition.
    I feel that each region has some very talented and knowledgeable APUG members and there is no reason to bring in "Names" to teach each other. I believe there is more learning done with friends teaching friends.
    In the past year new friendships have been made. This past Sat more new friendships were made and I hope more in the future.
    Basically, I would like to keep the regionals more of an informal, free-form entity with a few structured events, partly because I don't have the free time to become involved in another "Organization."
    Lets have some fun, get out and photograph and show each other our work!!!!!!!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In about two weeks, the New Mexico contingent is getting together for an afternoon of chit-chat and coffee. I am all for this. But do we need a president and a treasurer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David - I don't think so.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I started this (innocently enough) but now feel the whole idea was wrong and so apologize for it. As soon as I saw this Hamilton / Jefferson thing going on, I realized it was a mistake. Let's keep it loose everyone.

drew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    In about two weeks, the New Mexico contingent is getting together for an afternoon of chit-chat and coffee. I am all for this. But do we need a president and a treasurer?
    David, I was just offering up options for those regions who might want more functionality on the site. Nothing has been implemented or even poll'd to see if people actually want this. I know if we had a group of 20 NZrs that met often it would be nice to:
    -have a group calendar which could notify everyone and keep people in the loop on meetings via email
    -to have a members list with a short bio on each member so new regional members know who they are about to meet up with in person
    -an image area we could post pics of our meetup.

Things like that. Maybe the 20 of us would like to have a big cookout once a year so someone would need to collect funds for that, etc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Let me too be clear.

I am all for regional groups.

I am all for meeting and knowing fellow APUGGERS.

There are a lot of talented photographers here in NM. Luckily, I know more than a few of them.

What I would be interested in is a "potluck" type of gathering where money does not change hands. Money makes people funny and someone always feels cheated. So I would happily bring a six pack to a "printing party".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Sean said. A calendar would be great to help schedule events and post info on date-specific items, like gallery openings or get-togethers.

Also what Drew B said. Hamilton vs. Jefferson, indeed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sean...those are all great ideas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin