Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,895   Online: 1254

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

A new APUG direction...

I posted this in another thread:

Ok, here's an idea...why doesn't, at least in the US, each regional group come up with a way to advertise this web site and what it represents. ...a small ad, paid for by the local members, placed in some regional newspaper, and stressing several things (ie. find a photographer in your area, location of (our) workshops (creating revenue for that group) that would be opened up to non-members... and maybe create more members, and last but not least, providing new access to fine art photographs created from around the world (by YOU). Lets come out of the closet! ...and we need to be more vocal about it. I just spoke to a Nantucket photographer about it and hopefully she checks it out (whitey mentioned it to her earlier and I pushed it further by saying "ok, digital for business is fine if you feel it is needed, but you need to create art in your personal life and apug is a way to get connected to this other side!"

I also think we need to either put together some way to give back to our instructors and I think either some money or buy his/her lunch would be great. Also, I think we need to (and I don't want to get TOO organized) pay a small fee at each workshop ($10 for us- $20 for non-members) What do you all think? Maybe.....just maybe, we can save the analog lifestyle we all love!

drew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Local personal promotion of the site is probably a good thing - i.e. spreading the word that film use is alive and well, as evidenced by the number of members here. How "formal" that gets should probably be left up to Sean to provide guidance, however.

From a completely selfish perspective, there's a flip side to the site-promotion coin. Large numbers of additional members translates to a corresponding number of additional posts, making it increasingly difficult to stay on top of the activity. For many people, I suspect there is a point at which the number of posts just becomes too great to manage.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've talked about APUG with the photography instructor where I work, but she is digital bound, as are the photo students and the people in the art club. I tried the local chapter of the PSA, but they are the largest group of digi-vangelists I've ever met (I think I may be one of the only PSA members who still uses film...)

I've actualy gotten the most interest of non-members by wearing my APUG tee shirt around everywhere I go on the weekends. Every now and then someone comes up and asks I refer them to the web site after chatting for a while - that and using my wooden camera in public.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I talked about photography (after discussing the work related stuff) at numerous booths at a convention I attended in the last couple of weeks.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far 11,564 people have found APUG. I'm getting 200 - 300 posts a day that I read about 12 of. More isn't necessarily better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OOps, posted in the wrong thread!
    Last edited by Andy K; 03-27-2006 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    So far 11,564 people have found APUG. I'm getting 200 - 300 posts a day that I read about 12 of. More isn't necessarily better.
    Me too Bruce

Am not sure if I have reached saturation point, or should I remove any blinkers which I was unaware were fitted or whether the discussion topics are cyclical a sort of photo bio-rhythm and I just need to bide my time.

I haven't decided what strategy is best to clear the backlog, frequent visits (currently the case) or to move to weekly, whereby more important threads might have run their course........ decisions, decisions.

Just made one ------ Off to try to mend the Jobo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would like to see a lot more development with regional groups and have had big plans to re-vamp this area. Each region should have more than a forum, they should have their own little micro-community complete with member list, president, treasurer, image gallery, calendar, etc. It should be doable now that I will have the time I need to work on the site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford
    Am not sure if I have reached saturation point, ... or whether the discussion topics are cyclical a sort of photo bio-rhythm ...
    (A bit off topic): Locally (North Texas) a few of us have discussed the forums lately regarding the fact that the postings are perhaps cyclical, not unlike articles in a typical photo magazine. Those of us that have read various mags over the years realize that after a certain time, the topics of articles start to re-appear. So it is with the forums. Questions already discussed get asked by newer members, etc. This is not a criticism, just an observation.

(A little more on topic): A few of us have tried to do meet and greets with APUGGERS in North Texas, with some success. I've met at least 8 in the Dallas/Ft. Worth/Denton area (plus scootermm in Austin, an ex officio member of the North Texas crowd), but I know there are more members in the area. We've had some group shoots, and a few of us have even begun a collaboration on a photo project.

I really appreciate actually meeting other apuggers away from the website. It has reinvigorated my own photography! Well worth the effort.

It takes a little work. Most folks have "day jobs". Here's a tip for a get together: include food!

Cheers, y'all - and good luck!

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I would like to see a lot more development with regional groups and have had big plans to re-vamp this area. Each region should have more than a forum, they should have their own little micro-community complete with member list, president, treasurer, image gallery, calendar, etc. It should be doable now that I will have the time I need to work on the site.
    Sounds like a great idea, Sean. I love the idea of active regions that can organize say three (maybe four) get togethers each year. Having the get togethers in the form of free, (or very small fees to cover materials) workshops like the one we just had in New England is a great way to energize people about their work, and welcome folks new to film photography.

And as David pointed out, food always helps. Hell, throw in a little beer and wine... live a little!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin