Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,592   Online: 986

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would love to know what part of Springfield you guys got lost! :rolleyes:
    A GPS would not have helped you... I changed all the street signs the night before as part of a diabolical plan to overpopulate the city with confused photographers. Sad to say only you two fell victim to my <failed> plan.
    Well, back to the drawing board to conjure up another sinister plan before the next NE-APUG gathering here in Springfield.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

No offense taken....

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    Adventure, Bill! That's what it's all about. Who the hell wants to always know where they're going?
    Geez, I'm reminded of that great scene in "Never Cry Wolf" where the bush pilot tells his terrified passenger (who is terrified because the plane's engine has stalled, and they're plunging towards the mountains): "Boredom, Tyler! Boredom! And you know what the cure for boredom is? Adventure, Tyler!" as he hangs out of cockpit and pounds on the engine with a wrench to get it started again....great movie, this coward highly recommends it. :o
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene
    I changed all the street signs the night before as part of a diabolical plan to overpopulate the city with confused photographers.
    The comedy group "Beyond the Fringe" (circa 1960) did a wonderful sketch about the British changing the road signs to confuse the Germans in 1940 in case of an invasion:

-----------------------------------------------
    Person#1: "Ha! We'll put Ipswich where Yarmouth was, and Islington where Dudley was..." (giggles).

Person#2: "Yeah, that'll confuse the Boche!"

<Pause>

Chorus: "'Ere! How are we going to get home?"
    ---------------------------------------------

(For any English eyes reading this, I just made up the place names, sorry.)
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A GPS would not have helped you... I changed all the street signs the night before as part of a diabolical plan to overpopulate the city with confused photographers. Sad to say only you two fell victim to my <failed> plan.
    Springfield has street signs? The rest of this state doesn't. Or at least not when you need them. Just notice, any of you in MA, how often they mark just the side streets and never tell you what street you're actually on! Wouldn't that be important? Not everyone knows the city they're driving around in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger
    Springfield has street signs? The rest of this state doesn't. Or at least not when you need them. Just notice, any of you in MA, how often they mark just the side streets and never tell you what street you're actually on! Wouldn't that be important? Not everyone knows the city they're driving around in.
    Felt the same way on my only foray (so far) to MA. We drove around in circles but never found Lizzie Borden's place in Fall River!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn
    Geez, I'm reminded of that great scene in "Never Cry Wolf" where the bush pilot tells his terrified passenger (who is terrified because the plane's engine has stalled, and they're plunging towards the mountains): "Boredom, Tyler! Boredom! And you know what the cure for boredom is? Adventure, Tyler!" as he hangs out of cockpit and pounds on the engine with a wrench to get it started again....great movie, this coward highly recommends it. :o
    HA! I knew you'd get the reference after the movie conversation we had on the way home - that is between fits of anxiety induced by my devil-may-care attitude and the blinking "low fuel" light on the dash. Great scene in a good movie. An aside - a Canadian anthropologist and arctic adventurer I met back in the late 70's said that the big secret among Canadian scientists and lovers of the great north was that Farley Mowat had seldom been north of Montreal. He wrote so well and so clearly delineated the real problems facing the people of that place that nobody would pick on him for it. He was simply too good a spoksman for just causes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger
    I noticed this when we first moved up here! I have a feeling there's some obscure traditional New England attitude, that if you are on a road, by definition, you MUST know the name of that road. Simply by virtue of being there!

Oh, and maps of Boston... I think the locals just like to play jokes on the tourists and the newbies to the area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    I noticed this when we first moved up here! I have a feeling there's some obscure traditional New England attitude, that if you are on a road, by definition, you MUST know the name of that road. Simply by virtue of being there!

Oh, and maps of Boston... I think the locals just like to play jokes on the tourists and the newbies to the area.

only thing is here in rhode island, depending on what town/village/city you might be in, the road is called something else, and people are so provincial, they have no idea what the roads are called outside of their village

good thing you folks aren't venturing down here to wyoming or arcadia, you'd end up in CT ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin