Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,408   Online: 959

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Right, ever tried shooting color under those circumstances. I would be interested in going, but if I did it is highly unlikely that I will shoot anything but color.
    Anyone who goes to these places should consider shooting LOTS of color. Most of it's green, but there's a lot of it. More shades of green, blue and grey than I knew existed. If I make it I'll be using color as well as B&W. The atmosphere demands it. I shot 100VS last time and thought the color temp of the light wrong for that film's strength, which to me seems to be "magic-hour warmth", strong in the red-orange. I'm a beginner, though, so a little advice wouldn't be ignored. There used to be an Agfa 100 E6 film that caught about twenty visible differences in a New England fog.

What color film do people think is ideal for places like Ireland?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    Never having been to Ireland, I can only guess. If I was going, I would probably shoot Velvia 100, although the older 50 would be preferred - It is a bit warmer film. Kodak VS100 is a bit too much on the blue side. Or, you could try a warming polarizer - a combination that works wonders with greens.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young View Post
    If you are planning to come from springtime onwards, please remember to bring plenty of midgie repellent as the Scottish midgie of the west coast is a vicious beast that likes to congregate in great swarms around anything warm and sweaty! Lachlan

Ok, haven't forgotten about the potential trip abroad. I get Icelandair emails each week and so I'm keeping up on fares (and taxes) with them. So, I have to ask Lachlan: are those little beasts around in the late summer/fall? Let me spell out what I'd consider a photo tour of scotland/Ireland (and maybe those who are interested can spell out their ideas and then come to a consensous (sp?) Anyways: land in Glasgow, spend a day in the city, then down to Paisley area, then move over (by train?) to Edinborough (Edinbra) and then move up the east coast, over by loch ness, to the west coast and down again. somewhere, take a ferry over to Ireland for a few days, kiss whatever lass you can get ahold of, and then ferry back. Did I leave anything out? Oh, at the end, spend a day researching genealogy. My wife and I are considering swapping dwellings...there are lots of sites for house swapping for various periods of time...they want to vacation here and we want to vacation there.

drew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love to go. I spent a year studying logic and metaphysics at St Andrews, and I love the Scottish landscape. Unfortunately, that was before I did much photography.

When I was at St Andrews, the philosophy department organized a highlands get away at an estate in the coutry side. Basically, all of the instructors and students (and their friend) took off in the middle of term for a couple of days of hiking, drinking beer and philosophizing. It might be fun to rent such a place (or a smaller one) as a base of operations. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place, but I'll do some digging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    (snip) This is not to mention the fact that on some days the sea fog, known as 'haar' can roll in and sit around for a day or two before clearing. (snip)

Lachlan
    Lachlan forgot to mention the days when you might have to endure the "smir".... The very fine and "light" rain that can soak through just about anything, and chill you to the bone... The time when the smirahorrigans get at ya. The best defence is a heavy pure non de-oiled wool that will keep you warm, even when it gets wet.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    ... There used to be an Agfa 100 E6 film that caught about twenty visible differences in a New England fog.

I would shoot what I prefer to shoot here in Noway - E100G or something like that. As you mentioned there are LOTS of shades of green, which need to be reproduced as different shades of green. Fuji's films have strong greens, but IMO they tend to come out as too much of the same shade of green.

Agfachrome RSX would have been great if I'd had any.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey, just bought a house up there on an island and hope to be living on the Isle of Lewis by sometime next year. Good thing about the islands is that, apart from being wonderful places, the wind blows a wee bit from time to time and so the midges are sent off to Greenland if they dare show themsleves.
    Last time I was there a couple of weeks back, I was setting up a shot [Agfa Record / Panf] at Bhaltos/Valtos when a mini-bus load of photogs from a photo-centre on the mainland turned up and ruined the view as they took to the beach with their pixelled boxes. Ah well. had wonderful evening elsewhere on one of the many deserted, golden sandy beaches.

Images
    I got back from a trip to Isle of Skye a couple of weeks ago. Absolutly stunning landscapes if your into that kind of thing. My advise would be to stay fairly close to base since it takes a lot of time to drive around and Scotland is larger than it would appear on the map. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the roads are small, winding, and full of sheep from time to time. Driving on the other side of the road always adds to the adventure. You get all kinds of wheather, every day. We had nice warm late summer days, flooding and a wee hurricane. All in a week. Bring your heaviest tripod.
    ”It's the inverse square law, the wind increases in proportion to the square inches of film you are trying to expose.”
    N O Mennescio
    Spatial Nihilist

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, the sheep are somewhat suicidal jumping out in front of the car/bike when you least expect it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp View Post
    Hey, just bought a house up there on an island and hope to be living on the Isle of Lewis by sometime next year. Good thing about the islands is that, apart from being wonderful places, the wind blows a wee bit from time to time and so the midges are sent off to Greenland if they dare show themsleves.
    I'm insanely jealous, but how have you managed to learn the language so quickly? I jest, the people there are wonderful.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin