Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 926

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young View Post
    Its like that in Aberdeen right now... a good gore-tex jacket is a very effective defence.

Lachlan
    Or an old-fashioned New England fisherman's rubber overcoat. The yellow ones. NOTHING gets through those.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Or an old-fashioned New England fisherman's rubber overcoat. The yellow ones. NOTHING gets through those.
    Except that you can't move in those, or sweat will make you as wet from the inside as you would have been from the outside without it.

Wool it is. The lanolin is a mickle fine smirahorrigan deterrent.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Highlands info

Hello,

I live in Edinburgh and am in the Highlands twice a month on photographic trips. Have been working in the Highlands for many years. I'm a newbie to APUG, but hope to get some stuff submitted to the gallery soon, mostly B+W landscapes.

The Highlands are great, but weather is very changeable. This means of course that plans can go awry, but also that the light can be very dramatic. Weather wise, the best idea is to check the climbers forecast
    http://www.mwis.org.uk/ and also phone a hotel in the area you plan to go as close as possible to the time you're going to be in that area - they will tell you what it's really doing outside! The general BBC forecast is often wrong, particularly on the west coast.

My favourite times to work are Oct- March: often better dramatic light, hopefully some snow on the hills, and, if you work in colour, the hills are an attractive russet brown rather than the uniform green of summer. And there are no midges! Downsides are (even) more unpredictable weather and short daylight hours.

The best time to go if you don't want the winter is May though. Landscape colours not uniforn green yet, it's statistically the driest month of the year and the midges are not out yet. July and August are often wet and you'll get eaten to death by the midges...!

I've got hundreds of favourite locations, but the far North West is my favourite: try Applecross, Skye, Assynt, Torridon. If anybody wants any more info please email me.

Hope this is useful,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We already had these horrible midges at the beginning of May, according to mild springtime. They really kill you!!! Myriads of them!
    That`s the only nasty thing about the Highlands!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just got back from a stay on the Isle of Lewis where we have a small place. Christmas Day was spent on the local beach, kite flying, taking snaps [Perkeo1] and drinking Gluvine. Nice. Had to [almost ] rope ourselves down to stop us been blown off to Greenland mind you but it was mild. Light at this time of year is fantastic - if it shows itself - which it doesn't that often. 'Moody' is a term that springs to mind in winter.
    Funniest moment [thankfully] was when my chum Vic, who was partially marinated at the time, flambe'd the back of head after leaning back too close to a candle. I thought he looked just like a Christmas pud at the time. He wasn't hurt as he didn't have that much hair to burn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lucky you! The Isle of Lewis!
    Want to buy a house there, too!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll be in Scotland in September. If something were to happen formally (or even informally) that would be cool.

We'll be in Edinburgh a few days, then Aberdeenshire, then up to the highlands and the Western Isles. Exact details still being determined.

We'll also be in London for a little over a week.

Feel free to PM if you're in the area and want to get together. I shoot everything from 35mm to 4x5 but I think airline weight considerations will probably keep me confined to 35mm on this trip.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin