Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,080   Posts: 1,635,604   Online: 906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 joys of handheld metering ...

I was in Acadia NP over the long weekend, I took my toyo out on the field and on small hikes in the park. I shot a bunch of polariod and fuji velvia 100F. BUT!!!!!! I set my hand held light meter at ISO800, fired a shot of polariod, happy with the results I loaded a quickload of fuji velvia 100F and fired the shot with the same settings.... OOOPS! which means I was underexposing my shots by a GOOD amount!... I shot approx 6 slides out there, and made the same mistake six times... Expensive lesson this one.

Should I even bother developing these slides ? Can I tell the lab what I did and can they push/pull process and salvage my shots ? Any suggestions welcome.
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ok manjo, expensive? how much a shot?

you've under exposed by 3 stops, kinda like the difference between correct and really bright

have them pushed processed and you may get something interesting, high contrast, weird colours

better than nothing, and ya neva know

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have them processed in pushed C-41, or develop them in D-76 for 10 minutes, wash and then put them through a C-41 machine (in order for the colour couplers to be activated). You'll get really interesting negs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could always have them do a single sheet and then you can judge whether it would be worth it or not to do the rest.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd have it pushed 3 stops, and it's not a bad idea to run a test sheet first. The contrast will be high, but it's the closest you'll get to a "normal" result.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ah, the old "had the meter on the wrong ISO setting" mistake....

The best mistakes in LF are the ones you only realize after a day's shooting, with your equipment already packed. Am I the only one who has suddenly gone pale, blurted an expletive, ripped open the camera bag and let loose with a wail of anguish at the wrong ISO setting on the meter?

(George P. Shiras in his book "Hunting Wildlife With Flashlight and Camera", relates how he ruined two pictures by pulling the wrong darkslide. He had a Native American guide with him who was surprised to see his anguish. Shiras explained his problem, and the guide refused to believe that "one mistake could ruin two pictures". When reading this, I thought: "one mistake can ruin an arbitrary number of pictures" - namely, wrong setting on the meter.)
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once exposed an entire roll of Velvia thinking the meter was reading 1/4 and then 1/2 second when, in fact, it was reading 4 and 2 seconds. Doh!! i never bothered to have the film processed.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    I once exposed an entire roll of Velvia thinking the meter was reading 1/4 and then 1/2 second when, in fact, it was reading 4 and 2 seconds. Doh!! i never bothered to have the film processed.
    I'd still develop the film...who knows, you might have screwed up someplace else, ie. aperture... and in your favor! Who knows?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Manjo... you just HAVE to go back to Acadia NP!! That's my advice!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last year when Whitey, Dan Lin (dlin), Steve B and I were photogy'ing up at Bear's Den in New Salem I had forgotten to reset my meter and overexposed all my shots by three stops!! :o
    Oh and of courrse I had left my cable release at home... along with my mind!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin