Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,238   Online: 959

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Umm... interesting. Is there a limitation on the physical size or insured value?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji
    Umm... interesting. Is there a limitation on the physical size or insured value?
    The school's limit for insurance for the show (not the individual work) is $25,000

Size? The gallery has a 27' ceiling but a hanging molding that is 14' from the floor. The lights are at that level and you should take that as a practical limit. One main wall is about 37' long. A viewer can stand back 16' from that wall. Other spaces in the gallery are 8' to the lights and more suited to intimate work.

Now, having said that, let me remind you that this is being hung by volunteer labor. If something requires a lift to hang, it will probably be left leaning against a wall. I'm getting too old for climbing rigging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks- Well, you are saying that there is no practical limit for ordinary work... that's good. Sometimes I've seen group shows with size limitation (sometimes as small as 30" long side of frame), and I'm not familiar with the gallery, so I was just checking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    very cool thing you-all are doing!
    quick question ...
    i don't get as much time in a wet darkroom as i would like
    and sometimes i have b/w and color work printed by a pro-lab ...
    unfortunately they are not all wet, but semi-wet ...
    and use a light jet /wet kind of thing for me ...

would that be considered analogy-enough,
    or would it have to be full-out mad scientist?

i won't whine or cry if you say: NO!
    and i'll just submit something I'VE done in the dark.

much thanks!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John.. as far as I'm concerned you could submit just about anything!! I'd love to see it all!! Granted, in the spirit of APUG... it may end up being an older (meaning all wet behind the ears!!) print.

Of course... even if it's older, I'm sure from you, it'll be interesting!! I hope you can make an appearance at the opening or the dinner at the end!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh maybe another question. I have a few 11x14 b&w transparencies sandwitched with glass in a wooden frame. They are supposed to be hang about a foot in front of a brightly lit surface (wall). Almost ALL of my friends tell me that they are the coolest things I made in the past, but at least one place I showed them in the past (University Place Gallery across the post office in Harvard Square) hated it and they didn't allow me to install a light.

If this request is too much PITA I will understand it, but I'd rather ask before falling back to my standard prints.... Is this gallery able to accomodate this type of work? (If it helps, I can bring both transparency work and reflective print work and let them pick after seeing them.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am goig to have to defer this answer to Whitey as it is his space and he knows it better than I. Also there is a limitation of time for us to hang the show. So, Whitey... can they be hung??
    But I would love to see the transparencies.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ryuji]Oh maybe another question. I have a few 11x14 b&w transparencies sandwitched with glass in a wooden frame. They are supposed to be hang about a foot in front of a brightly lit surface (wall).

Ryuji - There are two wall spaces, each about 7' wide that might work well for these. I've done something similar with student work - transparent work on acetate hung in front of a lit wall. We can try, right? If you want to see the space beforehand, just PM me. I'll be in and out all summer anyway.

And Jnanian: Give us what you got! I'd love to have you in this show!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    Ryuji - There are two wall spaces, each about 7' wide that might work well for these. I've done something similar with student work - transparent work on acetate hung in front of a lit wall. We can try, right? If you want to see the space beforehand, just PM me. I'll be in and out all summer anyway.
    That sounds perfect. Mine is framed (12x16 or so) and it should be easy to try. Otherwise, I have two 18x24 prints in 24x32 frame. I'll have them in my car to drop off so that we can decide which to hang when we meet on the drop off day. I'm happy with whatever you can hang out of these...

One small problem is that, there is really no place on the transparency work to attach a form. Only a small tag can be affixed on its side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok, i've sent off two negs for printing. There aren't any printers close to me except for him. This guy has screwed up some work before but hopefully after speaking to him, he'll do a good job on these. My prints will probably be around 11x14. Thanks for putting this together.

drew

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin