Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,363   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

a good article about film used by NASA for Apollo 11 landing

[COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    This is an article about the search for magnetic video tape. Most interesting. I hope they find those tapes!
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i have a couple of prints from that landing.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I suppose that if they shot it on film, that wouldn't have solved the problem of physically losing the archival footage, but at least there would be more than one facility able to read the film. On the other hand, they wouldn't have been able to beam it live back to earth, if they hadn't used video as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    i have a couple of prints from that landing.
    If you hunt around, you can find pretty good scans on NASA websites.

There are a couple (I want to say 3) companies that are able to handle requests for good quality scans from the original negs. Most of the good images are actually already scanned. We got the "Visor" shot (Neil Armstrong reflected in Buzz Aldren's visor), and got Col. Aldren to sign it for my dad's birthday. Considering that my dad spent over 10 years on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, I wonder if Col. Aldren considered signing it for free. He didn't do it for free (or even give us a price break), but I wonder if he considered it.

I have one shot from another mission that is scanned to enough detail that you can read what is written on the top of the Hasselblad. It says, "remove dark slide".

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice try. Everyone in the "know" understands that the moon landings never took place with everything being orchestrated on a sound stage.
    Sheesh. You people probably think Ken Lay was really in the coffin they stuck in the ground in Houston last week.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many of the photos from the early days of Cape Canaveral have vanished. The University of Central Florida has a project to recover as much as possible, but there is a mystery attached to the vanished originals. There is also a west coast version of this project.

Originals, generated by the USAF, were sent every month by special courier to the archives at Wright Patterson AFB, but seem to have vanished from the archives there. It was probably an overwhelming task to keep track of them and in a fit of 'economy' they were just destroyed.

To get back to the space shots, color film was tested by EK in a vacuum to see if the extreme environment would affect the plasticisers and solvents in film. The film was coated on special thin support so that more film could be wound on one roll. It turns out though that the solvents and plasticizers were not unduly affected by the short exposure to vacuum and extremes in temperature.

A variety of films were shot on every mission, not just one film. I have seen pictures taken with ECN and printed on color paper with good results. Most all transparencies had internegatives made and were then printed on color paper. Kodak did some of the duplication and processing for both the USAF and NASA.

Currently, NASA publishes digital photos on their web site at launch time.

Since I was once responsible for the shipment of materials to WPAFB, I have been contacted by Dr. Walters of the U of CF project and also a member of the west coast project to assist them in trying to recover any of the original photos. I have been of little help, but have worked with them to collect names, places and dates as far as I can remember.

PE

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    these are orginal prints, not scans nor downloaded images from the internet someplace.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    these are orginal prints, not scans nor downloaded images from the internet someplace.
    Ann, I have a few original prints with real autographs. One is a 20x24 hanging on the wall about 20 ft from me and the others (not autographed) include Ed White's space walk and one of the lunar shots in 16x20 about 5 feet away.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And one can get them made from the original negatives still. Your tax dollars paid for them, you have the right to the prints.

There are 3 companies who can pull the negatives from NASA archives and make prints. Of course, these days, they would rather do it digitally, but if you are willing to pay for their time, you can get the images printed still.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin