Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,192   Online: 713

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Don't procrastinate - get that shot now!

Do as I say, not as I do....but in this case I'm extremely glad I took many photos
    of this place this spring....

The roller coaster at Whalom Park was just town down...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...p1=MEWell_Pos2
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, when is the show of your images? Also, I would call the HABS/HAER people at NPS, as them might be interested in the documentary photos you took.

drew

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bill,

I know what you mean. I just happened onto the demolition of a stereographic movie theater in the very first marine studio in the country (US). I'd been there a few times, and always thought 'I need to get back there and photograph that area' but never did. The last time we went to the park, they were in the middle of tearing the building down. I was able to get a stereo photograph of it before it was completely gone, but with the rate of 'progress' these days, you have to be on the ball or spend a lot of time wishing for the past.

This weekend I'll be photographing an old US 1 tourist stop 'monument' - a giant orange (the fruit) man - that is sitting in the parking lot of a delapidated building with a 'For Sale' sign in it's parking lot. I expect it to be gone before this time next year...

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Any show will have to wait until I get some darkroom access/skills. I could be persuaded to scan a negative or two to post in the gallery, but you would regret it. They're mostly moody pinhole shots of the roller coaster, taken through a chain link fence with rusty "No Trespassing" signs in the foreground. It was a perfect subject for pinhole photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    So, when is the show of your images? Also, I would call the HABS/HAER people at NPS, as them might be interested in the documentary photos you took.

drew
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

later alligator

You are absolutely right Bill, I am so guilty of putting it off, wow that is a great shot, need to get that one! Then it is too late, also conditions are never the same as when you first saw the shot. For me, 99.9 per cent of my photography is for the joy, the hobby and a few passionate projects, therefore for the most part I am allowed the luxury of "putting it off". It is a habit I dearly need to change!:o

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi bill

i know what you mean :

http://www.abc6.com/engine.pl?statio...gesearch.shtml
    http://www.abc6.com/engine.pl?statio...gesearch.shtml

soon there won't be anything left ..

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Link no longer working....

...the site wants you to register... but the Boston Globe article was about the tearing down of the roller coaster at the old Whalom Amusement Park in Lunenburg, Massachusetts.

Now they're going to build a bunch of condos there. With the current real estate market, I wonder who will buy them. And if they find buyers, I wonder how the roads will support the additional traffic....

Many, many people experienced that roller coaster - I've heard it mentioned on the local sport stations when hosts bloviated about their childhoods....and I got to hear stories from the locals when I was there photographing.

Good thing I have two more books by David Plowden arriving for me to look at....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've kicked myself more times than I can count for shots I've intended to make and missed because the subject isn't there anymore. A few months ago, I'd seen a tree in front of an empty house in Franklin and thought it would be great with my Holga with the right light. Well, I drove by it and stopped to get gas, intending to walk across the street to it right after getting gas. As I'm pumping the gas into my car, I hear a chainsaw start up. The tree was half down before my tank was full. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. I was so ticked at myself for that one!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Great quote from a local...

...while watching the coaster come down:

"They are pulverizing generations of memories."

Winger,

A sad but not unusual story. Hence my original post - I want folks to get the shots while they can.....

-Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin