Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,318   Online: 849

Shooter
    Multi Format

Drying roll and 35mm film in reels

Does anyone routinely and successfully dry films in the spiral reels? What are the good and bad points compared to hanging? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We use a home-built device - it's made of length of PVC pipe that the reels fit into. We hang it up vertically with a hair dryer pointing into the top end, and a bolt threaded through two holes in the bottom end to hold the reels in place. It works great, cheap and easy to build, and saves space, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I routinely dry both 35mm and 120 rollfilm on SS Hewes reels. I use closed system driers designed by Statham Instruments and marketed by Honeywell (as the Honeywell Clean Dry). These driers circulate filtered air at low velocity across the film and through a vented (metal) dessicant canister - no heat is used. You dry out the dessicant cannisters in a oven.

The film dries very clean - but you need to be careful not to over dry it. I usually turn off the drier when the film is nearly dry and then hang it for a few minutes, cut it and sleeve it.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    I routinely dry both 35mm and 120 rollfilm on SS Hewes reels. I use closed system driers designed by Statham Instruments and marketed by Honeywell (as the Honeywell Clean Dry). These driers circulate filtered air at low velocity across the film and through a vented (metal) dessicant canister - no heat is used. You dry out the dessicant cannisters in a oven.

The film dries very clean - but you need to be careful not to over dry it. I usually turn off the drier when the film is nearly dry and then hang it for a few minutes, cut it and sleeve it.
    Same for me.

The advantage, is that it really cuts down on how much I have to handle the newly washed film.

The disadvantage - don't over-dry, because the curl will drive you mad!!!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there any special precaution to avoid dust, scratch, etc. with this method? In particular, if the reels are stacked up, is there any problem with water mark due to dripping water from the top reel?

I'm considering to replace a tall vertical film drying cabinet (film is hang straight) with a shorter drying cabinet with forced air flow, to save space in my darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Is there any special precaution to avoid dust, scratch, etc. with this method? In particular, if the reels are stacked up, is there any problem with water mark due to dripping water from the top reel?

I'm considering to replace a tall vertical film drying cabinet (film is hang straight) with a shorter drying cabinet with forced air flow, to save space in my darkroom.
    is there any problem with water mark due to dripping water from the top reel?

I have never had a problem with this - no water marks - no dust - no scratches. I do a final rinse before drying in DIW or distilled water with a droplet of low foam wetting agent added. I shake the excess water off the reels before placing them in the drier.

I get my (20 megaohm) DIW from the continuously monitored Millipore Filter Chain in my Lab at work.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only time I did this the curl drove me nuts. I use a hanging garment bag to air-dry film. Mine is canvas, not plastic. It's not tall enough for a 36exp roll of 35mm, but I simply clip both ends to the hanger bar, and it works well for me.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Images
    Good Evening,

I always hang film for drying--no particular reason, just always did it that way.

Is there any significant curling problem with modern film, Kodak and Ilford especially, when it's dried on the reel?

One film I would definitely NOT dry on the reel is Fomapan in 120. It has a fairly strong tendency to retain its curl even when weighted and dried by hanging; in fact, I routinely reverse load it (emulsion out) back onto a SS reel when it's dry and leave it for a few days before trying to contact print.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have one of the Senrac dryers. I don't use it myself, mostly because I shoot very little roll film, and out of habit, I hang everything in a drying cabinet. My wife teaches an intro photo class mostly to teenagers, their typical day involves a morning of shooting, and processing, then they have lunch and print after lunch - the senrac dryer helps to get that time from processing to printing down to make this feasable.

I do notice that the students negatives curl more than mine, but then they are shooting 35mm and I shoot MF if I shoot roll film, so that may have something to do with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post

This should work well with a couple sheets of open cell foam in the air path for filtering and a small fan to circulate the air through the filters and past the film.

The only time I've had problems with film curl were when I overdried the film.
    Tom Hoskinson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin