Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,173   Online: 1212

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Darkrooms in Boston Area?

Hi folks--After almost eleven years in Brooklyn, I'm moving back to Somerville, MA, in a couple of weeks. While our new apartment will be quite a bit bigger than our Brooklyn space, it may not be practical to have a complete darkroom setup there. So I wanted to know if anybody here has any experience with rental darkrooms in Boston. I haven't done any darkroom work in a long time, but I really want to get back into it.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hi there

i haven't lived in the ville for
    close to 8 years ( union square ),
    but the boston photo co-op
    ( in jamacia plain )
    and nesop
    ( in kenmore square )
    should still have darkrooms to use.

you might give ep levines a call,
    they have rental studio space,
    maybe they can give you a better
    idea of comunity darkrooms.

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the last time I was in Newtonville Camera (in Newton on Walnut St.), I think there was still a packet of brochures on a rental darkroom in Boston. They were back with the darkroom stuff, if that's what they were. You could try the Harvard extension school, Museum of Fine Art, and the Danforth Museum in Framingham to see if they have them or know of them. The Danforth does have a darkroom, but I don't know about renting it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    i used to live in somerville(Davis sq) and I used the boston photo co-op darkrroms a few times. very nice space to work in if they are still there.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Moopheus,
    The dark room rental and b&w processing services in town Boston are getting hard to find. NESOP is still around, but the Boston Photo-coop is no longer in the dark room rental business, as far as I know! I work with LaPete Labs and they are still in business. look them up at lapetelabs.com for further information. They are located at 369 Congress Street in the Fort Point Artist District in South Boston.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the MFA still have an active darkroom?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just enroll in the Basic Darkroom workshop at NESOP. That will give you access to the darkroom M-F 5:00 - 11:30 and all day S,Su. Nice folks there, too. Nick Johnson usually teaches it, and he'll talk about advanced topics, too, with anyone who is interested. Very little lecture, almost all hands-on. And you can skip any lectures and go straight to the darkroom if you wish.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Or you can rent from NESOP. Here's a link:
    http://www.nesop.com/AboutNESOP/Renting.asp
    -mark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin