Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,551   Online: 1084

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I's be interested in photographing old fishing villages too. I've penciled that weekend.

Can someone suggest locations to stay - that is where, if we have this meet up, should we be staying? Portland or other place / village?

I can help "clean up" the fried clam shoot ....

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach View Post
    We have the "Clam Box" here in Ipswich. We, and other Ipswich residents have been eating there for > ~ 50 yea..... uh ... a long time.

Ed,

Not only Ipswich residents.

I spent much of my childhood at Plum Island/Newburyport/Salisbury Beach and can remember that restaurant shaped like a box of clams (more than 50 years ago). I think it hasn't changed.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art,

For Portland there's the Eastland Park Hotel, a very big, very old place in the heart of Portland. There's the Holiday Inn by the Bay downtown and the Hilton Garden down on the waterfront. My personal favorite is the charming Inn at St. John by the bus station. It's old school and more like B&B.

There are numerous chain motels out by the Maine Mall in South Portland.

There are a couple of higher-end B&Bs in the West End but I can't remember their names.

Freeport, home of LL Bean, is 20 minutes up the coast but I suggest you avoid it. If you wanna stay near fishing villages that are within an hour or so of Portland try Googling Phippsburg, Harpswell, Cundy's Harbor, Orr's Island, Bailey Island and maybe Cape Porpoise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    You're right, Portland IS fascinating. The other, bigger Portland was named for this one. The city motto is "Resurgam." It was burned by the French and Indians in the 1600s. The Brittish burned it in 1775. And Portlanders burned it down by accident themselves on July 4th, 1866.
    Is this a tradition we're expected to continue?

Coincidentally, the NYT had an article today about New England clam shacks, mentioning the Clam Box. It's on the way from here to Portland.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    There are a couple of higher-end B&Bs in the West End but I can't remember their names.
    One which I like is 'The inn at Parkspring'

I need to look into what would be open in early November but one possible way of getting some of the fishing villages, clams, and some other stuff while not spending too many hours driving would be to go to Wolfs Neck Woods State park, where there are some nice woods and seashore areas, and you can look across the water to South Freeport, which has a small lobster fishing fleet. A short drive away is South Freeport, where there is Haraseeket Lunch and Lobster, who have clams, lobster and a variety of other seafood. I need to check to see what their hours are in November.

One of my favourite fishing villages for photography is Boothbay, which is about an hour drive up the coast from Portland. At sunrise there are some great shots to be had. On the way back to Portland from Boothbay you go through Wiscassett, Bath and Brunswick, which would also have some possibilities.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The new england contingent has been very quiet lately...hey, summer is over. The cool nights are upon us. Let's get together somewhere in the interim while we wait for Portland...maybe up in the Cape Ann area?? Anybody interested?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    The new england contingent has been very quiet lately...hey, summer is over. The cool nights are upon us. Let's get together somewhere in the interim while we wait for Portland...maybe up in the Cape Ann area?? Anybody interested?
    I'm in.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can I play, too?

IBBY!
    Lizz
    "At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lizz...you didn't come and play! It was a great day up on the other Cape. But now, does anyone know if Portland is still on? Reservations need to be made, anticipation needs to rise, excitement needs to build...etc, etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    But now, does anyone know if Portland is still on? Reservations need to be made, anticipation needs to rise, excitement needs to build...etc, etc.
    OK

Portland is still on, and I am sorting out Logistics.

Friday afternoon/evening the plan is to visit the arts district of Portland, where the galleries all stay open late, and tend to have all of their openings (first Friday of each month). Saturday morning we will meet at the Portland Museum of Art to check out their new photography exhibit, and then go on a shooting expedition. Colours are now at peak, but will have probably passed by the time we meet. We could either head South to places like Two Lights, and the ruins of Fort Williams, or we could head to the North, and visit places like South Freeport, depending on how much driving people are willing to do, we might drive up to Boothbay (nice fishing Village) and stop along the way in Wiscassett.

If you are planning on coming up, send me a PM, and I will reply with my cell number so that we can hook up.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin