Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,853   Posts: 1,582,909   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cape Ann in October?

anyone interested in visiting the MA north shore...maybe the 13th or the 14th of October, to do some shooting? I know Whitey and I are....who else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might be interested.. just need to check the calendar... and may have to bring the kiddlies with...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This must sound dumb, but I can't find Cape Ann on Google Maps....where is it, please?
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "other" cape... north of Boston where Gloucester is located.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    This must sound dumb, but I can't find Cape Ann on Google Maps....where is it, please?
    Cape Ann is really two towns: Gloucester (pronounced: Gloster) and Rockport, both in Massachusetts. Other surrounding Towns often claim to be part of Cape Ann; Essex, Manchester-By-The-Sea, Hamilton, Ipswich, even Rowley - but it is really the island containing Gloucester and Rockport.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a spot near Rockport where you can get a phenomenal view of Thatcher Island, with its two stone lighthouses. You turn off the main road at the Turk's Head Inn, keep left and follow the road down to the water. You'll get to a little bay where on the other side there's a rocky peninsula that looks right at the island. It's hands down the most beautiful coastal scene in southern New England, and it rivals even the best parts of the Maine coastline. The lighting is gorgeous there late in the afternoon. Rockport center and Annisquam are also very photogenic later in the day. I haven't found much to capture my photographic interest in the town of Gloucester itself -- if you go there trying to reproduce Edward Hopper paintings you're not going to have an easy time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 68707924.jpg  
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    It's hands down the most beautiful coastal scene in southern New England, and it rivals even the best parts of the Maine coastline. The lighting is gorgeous there late in the afternoon.
    Well, I'm hoping you or Ed will guide us around whatever day we go. Also, if weekends are bad for some people, I have Mondays and Fridays available...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love to, but as of 2 months ago I'm no longer an inhabitant of New England. But it's pretty easy to find the good spots. Rockport Harbor is beautiful -- the only problem is finding a place to park on weekends. And you can find Thatcher Island -- just look at Mapquest and take yourself to the nearest part of the shore, due west of the island.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, There's a show of cyanotypes by Arthur Wesley Dow at the Addison Gallery of American Art - at Phillips Academy Andover. This fine school is making up for graduating our current president by housing a great museum -the only major museum connected with a secondary school in the western hemisphere - or so says their hype.

All kidding aside, it's a wonderful place and this should be a good show of cyanotypes. All about Ipswich, Ed. Maybe we should try to take that in as well, since we're going to be "north of Boston."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Phillips Academy Andover. This fine school is making up for graduating our current president
    ...sure he graduated from there? Didn't the school pay his dad to take him out of there?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin