Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,256   Online: 758

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone for New Bedford?

Anyone interested in visiting the New Bedford area sometime in the near future?
    Bill H and I were thinking that the south coast might have some subject matter to document.... Lots of history from that area...great architecture, major commercial fishing fleet, etc. No apugers from down that way...as far as we know, but I think I can find a photog to lead us around.

drew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    New Bedford, Fairhaven, Westport are all good spots. I'm up for it.

Bill h

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bill h View Post
    New Bedford, Fairhaven, Westport are all good spots. I'm up for it.
    Where the heck are these places? Sounds like the area around Fairfield, CT but I have feeling they're not.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Where the heck are these places? Sounds like the area around Fairfield, CT but I have feeling they're not.

Regards, Art.
    From the web:

New Bedford is nicknamed "The Whaling City" due to the fact that it was one of the most important ports for the whaling industry. The city is considered one of the two major cities along the area of Massachusetts known as the South Coast (along with Fall River, home of Lizzy Borden).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh wait ... is the place that has a huge bridge along the way to the Cape? Very old place from my driving vantage. If so, that's a great idea. I was thinking about this place when I went to the first Cape get-together.

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You all gotta be s*ting me. You don't know where New Bedford is? Just East of Fall River. About 20 minutes form the Rhode Island line. It's not at the Bourn Bridge, it's about 1/2 hour west of the bridge.

So now... We all got that straight? So what's to do? What's to see? What's there?
    Just south of the City (Nonquit) are some of the most amazing old boatworks you will find around. They made (make??) Concordia Yahts there. It was stunning in 91 when the Hurricane came up the coast and we saw hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of boats sitting on the bridges down there.

Downtown has been reworked. It has cobblestone streets, nice port feel to it.
    Just to the east is Mattipoisett, Another charming small town with rich people and nicely maintained properties. Westport is nice. Further west you will find Bristol RI, the birthplace of most of the America's Cup winners. Lots to shoot there from boatworks to old factories, to bridges. Just across the brige is Newport and from there east Jamestown. These all have many things to photograph if you are so inclined.

Bring lots of film.

tim in san jose (ex New Bedford resident)
    Last edited by k_jupiter; 10-16-2007 at 08:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: east ain't west
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    You all gotta be s*ting me. You don't know where New Bedford is?
    :o I know. I'm pathetic that way. I've lived here in New England, what ... almost 4 years now and didn't even know where Derby, CT was!

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    You all gotta be s*ting me. You don't know where New Bedford is? Just East of Fall River. About 20 minutes form the Rhode Island line. It's not at the Bourn Bridge, it's about 1/2 hour west of the bridge.

tim in san jose (ex New Bedford resident)
    Art is thinking of the Braga bridge in Fall River (longest bridge in the world - that goes from the US to Portugal) Nope, NB is further east than that. Hey Tim, how about flying back east and showing us around!?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We gotta get Tim to come and give us a guided tour. Art, you might be thinking of the railroad bridge over the canal at Buzzards Bay.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Drew,

No flies on you, my friend. You haven't developed the Cape Ann shots yet and you're planning another trip! Gotta love it. I may be up for it... depends on the dates.

And Art... get a New England map, man. There's a lot here, you just have to find it.

Had a great time last Saturday with you guys. Let's keep it going.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin