Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,720   Online: 963

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pesphoto View Post
    The Co-op had nice darkrooms. Hope they arent out of business.....

they went under ...
    they moved from jp to dorchester, and
    realized they were in an area that a lot of
    folks didn't want to go to ( and it would have been a TON of work
    to fix up the (raw)space to get it the way they wanted it to be )
    so they moved a 2nd time ... and then ...

john

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Darkroom Rental In Boston

I have been using Bill LaPete's darkroom rental for a couple of years now. He has the lowest prices and the best equipment. Only $40.00 for a 12 hour day. Weekends are a little more. You can print any format up to 8x10 ( he has an amazing Durst 8x10 enlarger) and a film room with a Jobo. He is always available to help out too, so it's a great place for an expert as well as a beginner. He's located on Congress St. near the T, there is also plenty of parking in the area at $11.00 a day. His phone number is 617-338-3836.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the run-down so far to help others in Boston who may be looking:
    Boston Photo Co-op: as John said, toast. Too bad, the people who have used their JP space liked it.
    NESOP: Expensive, but very clean, generous hours, max format size 4x5", no JoBo.
    LaPete: Lots of good equipment, unfinished space with serious dust control issues, plumbing incomplete, so lots of back and forth to get tempered water, etc. Very cluttered. Runs his JoBo dry & cold, so subject to temperature drift during processing. I'd like to support him, but the setup is not encouraging.
    Danforth Museum School: (did not visit this one yet) Open darkroom is listed in summer catalog, format limited to 35mm only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Danforth Museum School: (did not visit this one yet) Open darkroom is listed in summer catalog, format limited to 35mm only.
    They did have Beseler 23Cs with one lens and carrier for 6x6. Even when I was suing them they weren't mentioning that in the brochures. They had a bunch of film tanks of assorted sizes, too.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

LaPete Darkroom Rental

Quote Originally Posted by TimVermont View Post
    Here's the run-down so far to help others in Boston who may be looking:
    Boston Photo Co-op: as John said, toast. Too bad, the people who have used their JP space liked it.
    NESOP: Expensive, but very clean, generous hours, max format size 4x5", no JoBo.
    LaPete: Lots of good equipment, unfinished space with serious dust control issues, plumbing incomplete, so lots of back and forth to get tempered water, etc. Very cluttered. Runs his JoBo dry & cold, so subject to temperature drift during processing. I'd like to support him, but the setup is not encouraging.
    I have been running my 4x5 film in LaPete's Jobo for two years and I have always used a tempered water jacket. He's never stopped me from doing that. If you simply tell Bill what you want he'll make it happen. I've never had any issues with dust either, not in the darkroom. It is an unfinished space and a bit cluttered but if you can't get great looking film and prints out of his darkroom you don't know what you're doing. All his enlargers are in perfect alignment and he has the only variable contrast cold light heads in Boston. If you're running film the water is filtered so there is never any dirt on the film. And by the way, he charges $40.00 including chemistry, $30.00 if you supply you're own, and he gives you a free day after three paid rentals. He is practically giving the place away in an attempt to keep traditional B&W alive and affordable. If more people would support him he would be able to afford to finish the plumbing. If they don't he'll be gone in a year and then NESOP at three times the price will be the only game in town...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin