Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,015   Online: 668

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Cancer Benefit Weekend Details Announced

Cancer Benefit weekend as follows:

Below is the line up for the Cancer Benefit weekend. Anyone can attend any or all of the weekend festivities, admission is free.

Oct. 24th Friday

Monty McCutchen Wet Plate Demo
    Charismatic Ultra Large Format photographer who knows this process well and will give a live demonstration

Oct 25th Saturday

Steve Sherman Reduced Agitation Development
    Traditional ULF photographer who popularized the century old process of Stand Development

Ken Hanson Trials and Tribulations of publishing 1st book
    After nearly a dozen treks in the Himalayas, Pakistan and Nepal, Hanson worked closely with a publisher to produce an exquisite oversized monograph. Hanson will share some of the pitfalls one can avoid in publishing a photography book.

Oct. 26th Sunday

Jack Holowitz Face and Figure Studio and Location
    Holowitz has lectured world wide on Black & White portraiture and the female figure. His work has long been the focus of Fuji Film’s Professional Division

Glenn Curtis Scanning to Digital Output
    Curtis teaches analog photography at Paire College of Art. His love is the digital process. A rare combination, he will demo the complete process from scanning through PhotoShop to digital output.

Oct. 27th Monday

Setup for ROG 2008
    ROG Cocktails and Exhibition 6-9PM
    After party 9PM - ???

Print shares each evening by all in attendance.

The Middlesex Cancer Center has arranged for reduced hotel rates at several different hotels close to the activities. Please email me for particulars.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, I think this is happening in Connecticut, yes? (sorry, I looked a little and just can't pinpoint where). I'd give a whole lot to be there, even if the only reason for going were to give Monty McCutchen a grateful hug... but Ted's family is coming in from *The Four Corners* that weekend, and it's going to be impossible to fit coming down into what's going to be a busy visit.

But (and I hope this isn't inappropriate, it's meant strictly with the best of intentions)... I have about 20-30 Tara frames here, of various sizes, colors, and materials, that Ted kept on hand to prep his own work for showing. Selling them makes no sense to me, because I don't want to ship them anywhere... they're very nice frames, most still in the original packing in which they arrived... but I'm so up to my ears with trying to sell the "big" equipment that these will sit there for another year if they take their necessary place on my priority list.

So, I'd like to just offer them to artists close enough by to come look at them and take what they can use to frame their own work, particularly anyone who is exhibiting at the Cancer benefit... and would just ask that, instead of paying me for the frames, they make a donation when they're with you, in whatever amount they feel the frames are worth.

The reason I thought this might be of interest (and, I hope, helpful) is that they're here for your artists to look at, "try on," etc. I remember how Ted used to agonize trying to figure out from a website how a frame would look around a print, and maybe "trying them on" would help someone feel a little more confident than ordering them and hoping for the best.

So... something of a vague offer, but perhaps you, Gene, Whitey, others might get the word out to those exhibiting that the offer is "out there"? I'm at asrafferty@comcast.net.

Thanks, and all the best for the benefit.

Amy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by asrafferty View Post
    Steve, I think this is happening in Connecticut, yes? (sorry, I looked a little and just can't pinpoint where). I'd give a whole lot to be there, even if the only reason for going were to give Monty McCutchen a grateful hug... but Ted's family is coming in from *The Four Corners* that weekend, and it's going to be impossible to fit coming down into what's going to be a busy visit.

But (and I hope this isn't inappropriate, it's meant strictly with the best of intentions)... I have about 20-30 Tara frames here, of various sizes, colors, and materials, that Ted kept on hand to prep his own work for showing. Selling them makes no sense to me, because I don't want to ship them anywhere... they're very nice frames, most still in the original packing in which they arrived... but I'm so up to my ears with trying to sell the "big" equipment that these will sit there for another year if they take their necessary place on my priority list.

So, I'd like to just offer them to artists close enough by to come look at them and take what they can use to frame their own work, particularly anyone who is exhibiting at the Cancer benefit... and would just ask that, instead of paying me for the frames, they make a donation when they're with you, in whatever amount they feel the frames are worth.

The reason I thought this might be of interest (and, I hope, helpful) is that they're here for your artists to look at, "try on," etc. I remember how Ted used to agonize trying to figure out from a website how a frame would look around a print, and maybe "trying them on" would help someone feel a little more confident than ordering them and hoping for the best.

So... something of a vague offer, but perhaps you, Gene, Whitey, others might get the word out to those exhibiting that the offer is "out there"? I'm at asrafferty@comcast.net.

Thanks, and all the best for the benefit.

Amy
    How wonderfully thoughtful of you Amy.

Yes the weekend's activities will take place here in central Connecticut. I will email the LF photographers who are north of me here and tell them of your generous offer. I shall reference this web link so they may contact you directly should some have an interest.

Sorry you won't be able to make it down, it should be a wonderful time.

Again, thanks so much for thinking of us

All best, Steve
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve?

I couldn't send a print, but would like to contribute. Where can one buy a ticket? I tried the Middlesex Hospital Cancer Center website. BTW if you have tickets, I'll be at tonight's Photo Arts Collective meeting and buy one from you then.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 09-25-2008 at 08:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art... if you are going to be at Suzanne's this Sunday, I can have something for you.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin