Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,174   Online: 720

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm from Southern NH and would love to participate in anything you guys cook up. Let me know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoyed the APUG event this past weekend in Manchester. I'm looking for ideas of places to go for another APUG shoot in Southern NH. I've been here for only a little over six months and I haven't found a lot of places yet.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    NavyMoose, it was nice meeting you last weekend at the Manchester event. I had earlier suggested a few of my favorite places. In addition to those I generally like to drive around the more rural areas for pictures. Also if you like hiking there are lots of waterfalls in the white mountains, some not very far up the trail.

What type of things are you looking for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    NavyMoose, it was nice meeting you last weekend at the Manchester event. I had earlier suggested a few of my favorite places. In addition to those I generally like to drive around the more rural areas for pictures. Also if you like hiking there are lots of waterfalls in the white mountains, some not very far up the trail.

What type of things are you looking for?
    What you described is pretty much what I shoot. Last Summer I spent time in Franconia Notch shooting waterfalls and I hiked up to Artists Bluff.

The Whites and Kanc are tougher to do on a day trip.

I haven't been in SoNH long enough to find the less populated areas.

If you can please post some of the places you talked about in this thread, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you

NM
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NavyMoose,
    From me as well, it was nice to meet you.
    Obviously, there isn't as much open country in SoNH as in the Whites, but there are some nice areas.
    Working west from where you are, the area along 122, from Milford down into Groton MA. There are several farms and orchards and good rural landscape views

To the north and west;
    Routes 47, 136 and 31 form a loop around Crotched Mountain, through the towns of Francestown, Greenfield and Bennington. There are good spots along those roads, especially 136 between Francestown and Greenfield. Farther to the west and north there is Hancock NH and route 123 from there through Marlow has some good spots. Most of these places don't require much, if any hiking.

Straight west from Milford, Temple and Pack Monadnock mountains, then there is Monadnock Mt. There are state parks on Pack Monadnock and Monadnock, also in Greenfield.

For urban landscape, Milford and Amherst might be good. Farther west, Peterborough, Jafferey, and then Keene.
    A little to the south and in Western MA Quabbin Reservoir which you could spend years working. I'm sure that PapaGene will be up for an excursion there just about any time. (He is the expert on Quabbin). Google Quabbin, and you'll get a lot of information about the place.

I've wanted to visit Chesterfield Gorge, which is west of Keene for a while, I've never been to it, but drive by a lot.

Finally, there are good spots in and around Brattleboro, VT, depending on whether you prefer urban or open landscape.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    VCP=Vermont Center for Photography, Brattleboro, VT
    VPC=Valley Photography Center, Springfield, MA
    QVP=Quabbin Valley Photographers, Belchertown, MA

At least that's how I think of them. VCP is the most film oriented and large format group but there's analog people in all three.

Best,
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyMoose View Post
    I enjoyed the APUG event this past weekend in Manchester. I'm looking for ideas of places to go for another APUG shoot in Southern NH. I've been here for only a little over six months and I haven't found a lot of places yet.
    I know its not southern NH but the Kancamagus Scenic Byway ("The Kank") will definitely lure you a bit further north in NH once you're ready for it.

Best,
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You should look at meeting in the Portsmouth/Dover area, particularly in the fall. Those towns serve as kind of a gateway to Maine and/or the White Mountains, and leavers from all over pass through there every autumn. I'm sure you would find many traveling APUGers among them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff.blackwell View Post
    You should look at meeting in the Portsmouth/Dover area, particularly in the fall. Those towns serve as kind of a gateway to Maine and/or the White Mountains, and leavers from all over pass through there every autumn. I'm sure you would find many traveling APUGers among them.
    Do you think there would be interest in an event sponsored by New England Apugers willing to lead one or more days of a Fall Tour for Apug peepers and leavers not familiar with the area?

Best,
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

CORRECTION

[QUOTE=VCP=Vermont Center for Photography, Brattleboro, VT
    VPC=Valley Photography Center, Springfield, MA
    QVP=Quabbin Valley Photographers, Belchertown, MA
    At least that's how I think of them. VCP is the most film oriented and large format group but there's analog people in all three.
    [/QUOTE]

QVP was a mistake on my part, what I should have listed was

PVPA=Pioneer Valley Photographic Artists, Belchertown, MA.
    They meet at the Quabbin Valley Reservoir Visitor's Center the last Thursday of each month.
    Next meeting will be 6/25/09 at 7:00.

Best,
    Last edited by rternbach; 06-22-2009 at 07:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Get over it."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin