Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,244   Online: 967

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by z3guy View Post
    Yes, Quabbin and the surrounding area is beautiful but the abandoned town is just a folk tale. When Quabbin was made everything now under the reservoir and on the watershed surrounding it was taken down or moved to adjoining towns, with cellar holes and other foundations about all that is left.Paul
    Very true that the towns were taken down, buildings moved, and many structures bulldozed and burned to the ground before the valley was flooded. There are still certain things remaining however, not whole towns but stone foundations, country roads, and some archaeologic artifacts which can be found by "walking into The Quabbin" from the various access gates in the woods around it. If you are motivated you can walk a few miles out to the "Baffle Damns" on The Harwicke side of the reservoir--it's definitely worth the walk. Pick up a fishing map of the area either in Ware or Belchertown and you'll get other good leads. Sorry my time is so limited right now but once September gets here I'd be ready to sign on for a photo safari in the area. Also, at The Quabbin Visitors Center there's an exhibition of b&w prints made from 1890's photos of the area--Les put it together.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyMoose View Post
    Well, it looks like some local folks almost pulled a fast one on a tourist thanks for clearing that up. If we can coordinate a shoot out there lead by someone familiar with the area, I would be there.

I've seen a number of documentaries on the towns there, my father has one or two books on the towns which were flooded.
    In the past I have led several outings to the Quabbin, all posted here on APUG. And come this fall I will be making more trips out there to do some photogying. Summertime the bugs are just way too vicious, thinking that bug repellent is Special Sauce.
    I grew up just north of the Quabbin in Athol and have been photographing there since 1991.
    And keep an eye on the Valley Photo Center in regards to Les Campbell.

Below are a few links to maps of the Quabbin.

gene

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/waterSupply/...stquabbike.pdf

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/waterSupply/...thquabbike.pdf

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/waterSupply/...abparkbike.pdf
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rternbach View Post
    Very true that the towns were taken down, buildings moved, and many structures bulldozed and burned to the ground before the valley was flooded. There are still certain things remaining however, not whole towns but stone foundations, country roads, and some archaeologic artifacts which can be found by "walking into The Quabbin" from the various access gates in the woods around it. If you are motivated you can walk a few miles out to the "Baffle Damns" on The Harwicke side of the reservoir--it's definitely worth the walk. Pick up a fishing map of the area either in Ware or Belchertown and you'll get other good leads. Sorry my time is so limited right now but once September gets here I'd be ready to sign on for a photo safari in the area. Also, at The Quabbin Visitors Center there's an exhibition of b&w prints made from 1890's photos of the area--Les put it together.
    This sounds interesting. Lets keep talking about this. Thank you for the information.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin