Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,184   Online: 812

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ken Hanson in Cheshire, CT

Hi Folks,

I juts received this e-mail and thought I would pass it on to everyone.

If you've never experienced the breathtaking magificence and awe of seeing Ken Hanson's photographs "in the flesh", well here's your opportunity!

Mr. Hanson will be showing selected images from his recently published book, Himalayan Portfolios: Journeys of the Imagination, at The Picture Framer Artshack Gallery in Cheshire, CT. An Artist Reception and booksigning will be held THIS FRIDAY, October 10th, from 6 to 8PM at the gallery. The exhibition will run through the month of October. You should also check out the engaging Artists Next Door feature story by Hank Hoffman on Ken and his work in the current issue of The Arts Paper.

The Picture Framer is at 96 Elm Street, behind Cheshire Town Hall and adjacent to the Watch Factory Shoppes near the intersection of Routes 10 and 68. Click on this link for a map and directions to the gallery: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=16&iwloc=addr

For two decades, Ken has been taking his sturdy view camera to the Himalayas and creating dramatic black-and-white prints from his 4x5 negatives. His trips have ranged from the Karakoram in Pakistan (K2 region) to Kangchenjunga in eastern Nepal. They include the hidden realm of Dolpo in Nepal and the approach to Everest from both Tibet and Nepal. Rich in the tradition of great landscape photography, these are truly spectacular images and prints reverently portraying this remarkable region of our planet.

Also in attendance at the opening, will be the publishers of Ken's book, as well as many other art books, Charles and Gail Fields of Charles Fields Publishing http://www.charlesfields.net/. This beautiful book consists of over 100 duotone black-and-white photographs and an interpretive essay. The photographs include a fold-out panorama of the Biafo Glacier (11 x 46 inches.) A foreword has been provided by Greg Mortenson, alpinist and humanitarian, co-author of the New York Times bestseller, Three Cups of Tea.

You are invited to come and join us to indulge yourself with a renewed sense of awe and to celebrate and support this wonderful accomplishment by Ken, Charles and Gail.
    Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    8x10 Format

ken hanson

I know Ken personally, and have seen some of these photographs. If you love either the mountains, or black and white photography, this would be a show you should not miss. Thanks for the heads up.
    Tim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have known Ken Hanson for nearly 20 years. He is british gentleman of the highest regard. A highly educated and soft spoken man, he has traveled to the Himalayan region for years and has amassed enough glorious black and white photographs to warrant his first monograph.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 10-10-2008 at 11:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Portion of post responding to deleted post deleted.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, now that we got all that out of the way, I hope to see some of you guys guys tonight.

One of my favourite photographers is the late Bradford Washburn. He gave me my first appreciation of mountain photography. I'd love to see some of Ken's work tonight. He's also been to several places I have been to, but my 35mm slides, I am sure would be no match to his 4x5's.

BTW here's a link I found on the 'real' Ken Hanson: http://home.cshore.com/kenhanson/

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 10-10-2008 at 07:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot to add link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Note the different spelling of the last names. I just recently bought a camera off eBay from Mr. HansEn; very fair and smooth transaction.

I'd love to see the exhibit of Mr. HansOn's work, and it's not too far from me. I'm a total sucker for mountain photography.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

ken hanson show

Thanks, Art for getting this thread back on track, but this had to be clarified. I'm going to make every effort to attend - I hope to meet some of you if I can make it.
    Tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've deleted the confusion about Ken Hanson, the photographer, and Ken Hansen, the camera dealer but left Nick Merritt's post in, just in case anyone else is confused.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Folks,

Went to see the pics at the opening and also meet Ken in person. First, the person. What a delightful, gentle man. He's probably 2.5 approaching 3 times my age and he's still got spunk. He told me his last trek to the area was in 2005. He and I went to the same areas in the Karakoram mountains in northern Pakistan, but I went some 14 years ago. I bought his book, which he personalized too. Great man. Easy to chat with. I could have talked with him for hours.

Now the photography was a mix of digital and real photography. He ha about 25 prints on display. Most were mountain scene, but a few were of local villages and people. Interestingly, he only sells his digital work, which he says he can 'spit out' easily. Talking with him, you can feel he loves his gelatin silver prints and wouldn't depart with them for any money. His printing is marvelous to able to draw out details in the shadows and tame the highlights so they don't blow out white. Obviously he split prints, but I didn't get into the technical stuff, but talked more about the regions he and I visited.

It was also a pleasure to meet Tim (climbabout) for the first time. Good guy and I hope Tim comes out to a couple NE APUG get togethers in the future. The rest of the NE group will enjoy his company for sure. I also a had a delightfully long chat with a lady who just moved back from Oregon. Don't remember her name at all though (just like a guy, eh?). Anyway, I gave her the APUG website link when she said she was looking for large format beginner resources.

If you do get a chance to visit, do go. The images are spectacular, the little framing shop is quaint and you should buy the book too.

Regards, Art.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin