Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,739   Online: 876

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New gallery in... Maynard?

Maynard, MA is a small old mill town, and sort of stuck in between much wealthier towns. It's a cool place, but not one I would think of as the home of a great new gallery. But Gallery Seven, on Nason street seems like the real deal. I was going by today and was taken by some very good B&W prints in the window. I went in and found three sets of prints from three recent New England School of Photography grads. The Beauty of Silver: Photographs by Dianne Bunis, Peg O'Connell and Roseanne Saalfield" is up from Oct. 4 to Nov. 15. The show is small but worth a visit. The man who started the gallery is a teacher at NESP and is pushing the idea of real film and wet prints at anyone who will listen.

If you are in the western 'burbs of Boston, drop in and see what the place is about. I don't have any connection to them at all, but I'd love to see them prosper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cool!! Hey Whitey, you should talk him into having a NE-APUG show at his gallery!!!!!!!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maynard is actually not a bad little town. Part of the Crime Lab relocated there when the old lab ran out of room. There are some neat shops, cafes, and such there. My part of the lab was still in Sudbury, but the crew that moved didn't mind it too much once they started to learn their way around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's an interesting place, to be sure. Digital Computer was started there, in the shell of the mill building. This influx of high tech types, businessmen and women from all over, gave the restaurant scene in town a real boost, making sure that there was much more choice than you would have expected from a town that size. About ten years ago the place became a magnet for young, artsy folk, attracted by relatively low housing prices and the possibilities offered for start-up storefront business in a village setting where many of the stores were empty. There has been a wave of coffee shops and funky resale shops, but this is a fairly polished gallery and frame shop. Hope they do well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darn, drove right by there yesterday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick Johnson started that gallery, and one of the exhibiting artists is my friend Dianne, who a few of you guys met at my opening at the Acton Library a few weeks ago. Nick teaches darkroom/zone system at NESOP, and I took one of his advanced darkroom workshops a few years ago when I got back into the darkroom after a long hiatus. He's a great teacher, and I got a good push, and an excellent framework for how to work in the darkroom from him

Another thing to keep an eye out for.. there is "Artspace" in Maynard as well, which is a former school that has been turned into artist studios. There's some great work in there, and they have open studios every few months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the notice Whitey...I'll be up at the academy tomorrow and might swing over in the afternoon.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i wish i lived closer to maynard!
    i have barely 1 1/2 hours a day
    when i am on my own ..
    unfortunately it takes more than that
    to drive there, gaze at artwork and drive home
    to be ready to pick-up x2, make/eat lunch, pick-up, play-hw, make/eat dinner + zzzzzz ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What!?!? Maynard? I'm going to have to drop by. I know exactly where this. I work and live so close by.

Maynard is an interesting place. Downtown (Nason St. runs right though the commercial "district" has quite a few shops and restaurants. There is a parking 'garage' and several lost, so it is very convenient.

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I, too, studied with Nick at NESOP (workshops, not full time). He's a fantastic teacher, and his framing is impeccable. It is a small gallery, but there is some excellent work up. Nick's work can be viewed on his web site:

http://www.nickjohnsonphotography.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin