Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,259   Online: 821

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ice storm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New Hampshire -- "Live Freeze or Die"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was great Amy... I love that twist on NH's state slogan!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Up here in the Hilltowns (I'm in Charlemont) it was location i.e. elevation dependent. Our house is in the Deerfield River Valley and our elevation was low enough that we're unscathed and have power, etc. However, I tried to head up into the hills and was met with downed trees, veeeeeeeery low hanging power lines and lots of crews clearing the trees from the roads. In a word, ugly up there. I also drove through northern Worcester Coounty yesterday and it appears to be one of the harder hits areas in the state.

Hope everyone is OK.
    IBBY!
    Lizz
    "At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I drove from Boston to the Ct River valley last evening after the storm. Rt 2 was narrowed considerably by trees that had been bent over onto the road surface and frozen solid. The crews were still working at 5 PM to clear the travel lanes in many of the towns between Fitchburg and Erving. My heart goes out to those of you who have a line down somewhere between you and civilization. It looks like it's going to be a long time in the reconnecting out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our town/neighborhood got hammered. Power has been out since early Friday morning, lines are down all around us.
    There are fallen trees hanging on some of the wires here and there.

When we got up Friday one of the wires was down across the driveway. Later more falling branches pulled the power attachment and phone lines off the house. We have a few fallen trees in the yard and tons of branches on the ground.

OTH the woodstove can heat the whole house, and we have plenty of wood. We had extra water packed away (had to drain the print washer today though), and the fridge needed to get cleaned out anyway.
    Plus the crystal-coated trees are quite a sight.

We'll be "camping" in the house for a week or two, phone works but no power for anything else. Thank goodness for Panera and free wireless internet.

Glad to hear other folks came through ok.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Faring well in Maine. Power wasn't out long, either. I think we were fortunate this time around.
    Jim
    'It matters little how much equipment we use; it matters much that we be masters of all we do use.' - Sam Abell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in eastern NY we had quite a bit of ice. We were lucky - we were without power yesterday, but service was restored by about 7pm last night. Our town's emergency management hotline reported tonight that there are some areas in the town were electrical service won't be restored until Wednesday night.

Yeah, living here in the great Northeast is a challenge.

This was the view from my office window this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today.jpg  
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jphotos View Post
    Faring well in Maine. Power wasn't out long, either. I think we were fortunate this time around.
    I just spoke with my parents in ME. Apparently, the Sebago Lake area was spared. Their power went out for about 5 hours on Friday and they can get around without much problem. Usually they are the ones who get hammered.

I took another drive around this afternoon and the damage is really extensive in our area. It's beautiful to see, but I'd think differently if I had to come home to a cold house and no water. After seeing the work ahead for the linemen if power is restored in the next week it'll be because of an incredible effort on their behalf.

IBBY!
    Lizz
    "At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Here in eastern NY we had quite a bit of ice. We were lucky - we were without power yesterday, but service was restored by about 7pm last night. Our town's emergency management hotline reported tonight that there are some areas in the town were electrical service won't be restored until Wednesday night.

Yeah, living here in the great Northeast is a challenge.

This was the view from my office window this morning.
    Mono do you work in the Arts Center? That looks like congress park to me. I'm another Saratoga Native. The one nice thing about the storm - no work for the last 3 days and my sister has come to visit from NH because they don't have power there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few degrees colder and we would of had the same mess in New Brunswick (Can.).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin