Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,792   Online: 1163

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ice storm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This was the view from my office window this morning.[/QUOTE]

what an office!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still without power at home... but we've dodged the broken pipe nightmare. We managed to get the coal stove fired up, which got the house temp. up to a balmy 45 degrees F. But spent the night at a friends. Our street's power was restored on Friday, but individual houses that lost the connection to the street are still without. They think they will get to all the houses by today... knock wood!! This has been rough to say the least... but I suppose it could have been far worse....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    Mono do you work in the Arts Center? That looks like congress park to me. I'm another Saratoga Native. The one nice thing about the storm - no work for the last 3 days and my sister has come to visit from NH because they don't have power there.
    Actually, I work at home. I'm an ORG - old retired guy. That's the view out the front window looking up the street.

But I am a member of the Arts Center, and have a photograph hanging in the current Winter Solstice show. Haven't been in to see it yet, but I suspect its somewhere in that dark back hall where they always put the photography.
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by asrafferty View Post
    New Hampshire -- "Live Freeze or Die"

at least you didn't make it 'and' instead of 'or'
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's good to see people getting through this one. I'm in the Nashua Library, not Panera, for my wifi connection. My town seems hit far harder than the last 'big' ice storm (1997?), and we didn't get power back for 5 days then. Broken trees, wires and power poles abound. The house has heat, and I have a generator for the well pump and some light, so we're thankful. On the bright side, my kids are adjusting to a computer free life :rolleyes:
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We're in Chelmsford MA and got our power back about 3:30 yesterday afternoon. We checked into a local hotel so we could take hot showers and it seemed that many from the Southern NH area had come down for a warm place to stay. There are still quite a few areas of our town with no power... I hope folks can back back into their homes soon.

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Experiences like this ice storm cause us to remember the critical things we overlooked when we set up our homes. I'm not thinking about the big issues like the decision to live here in the great Northeast - it's the small stuff that gets you.

Like on our first home - it never occurred to me as we were shopping for homes to ask which side of the street the snow plow came down first. Sure enough, our house was on that side, which meant that we got more than half a street's worth of snow dumped in our driveway.

And then on the present house - I knew that it was at the bottom of a hill, and that meant that we had to have a grinder pump. But until we had the first power outage, it didn't register that with a grinder pump, you have to start counting flushes when you lose power.

The only solution is to have a sense of humor!

[On the other hand, there is a seriousness here. The local news has reported that a couple has died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning attributable to running an emergency generator in their garage.]
    Last edited by Monophoto; 12-14-2008 at 03:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My folks in Derry and Salem NH still have no power... they stayed in a hotel or got propane heaters. Hope everything gets restored soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suzanne, I'm so glad you and yours are safe and coping (it's the New England way). Gene, Whitey - you guys, too! Stay safe all of you!
    My neighbor and I chose this weekend to go up to MA and get the last of my stuff that was in a storage shed in Franklin. We drove up Friday and back on Saturday and the roads we used were completely clear. I, of course, was going nuts 'cause I wanted to go out and shoot and we didn't have time. The spots where there was still ice on the hillsides (near Worcester along the Pike) were just gorgeous when the sun hit them.
    The hotel in Franklin was full Fri night because of people without power coming south.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just got back from a photo outing to Ashfield, Plainfield, Adams area with a few LF photogs... wow! Other than all the hardships this storm caused, it was/is a photographer's paradise!! You could throw your camera out the window and where ever it landed you could get a great shot. It was visual overload.
    The scenes were beautiful, frightening, amazing, dangerous, incredible... all at the same time. We were just awestruck!
    Then we stopped in Turners Falls to see the Caponigro show... more amazing visuals.

To all those still without power... please stay safe and warm.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin