Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,541   Online: 1129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Slides for stock sales

Hello To All; I'm brand new to the site and am enjoying it immensely.
    I have questions concerning the sale of slides to stock agencies. Do the stock photo buyers consider slides, or, are they buying digital images only?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olgeezer View Post
    Hello To All; I'm brand new to the site and am enjoying it immensely.
    I have questions concerning the sale of slides to stock agencies. Do the stock photo buyers consider slides, or, are they buying digital images only?
    Though it does depend on the agency, every one I know of requires digital images (raws or tifs) of certain pixel dimensions. Usually a 5D file or something similar is the smallest file they want. That's about 13 Mpix. Sounds like a stupid requirement due to the size at which most images will be used, but they want to cover themselves in case an image needs to be enlarged and/or cropped extensively.

You can certainly get a file that is far superior with a high quality scan of a frame of medium format film (and, IMO, a technically solid piece of 35mm film). The problem is the cost.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most that I know of including Getty only accept digital files, as mentioned by 2f/2f. I sold my 5D and shoot film exclusively now, I prefer the look of film. I use an Epson v750 which is fine for the job. I get at least 45MP from 135 scanned at 4800dpi, and naturally more from 120. I dont think the editors are concerned whether you shoot film or digital, as long as you meet their criteria.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for that information, you may have saved me a ton of wasted time and effort, however, I do plan to search for a couple of agencies that still accept slides as I am looking to get some experience before I spend my money upgrading to digital equipment. Any guidance?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you for that information, you may have saved me a ton of wasted time and effort, however, I do plan to search for a couple of agencies that still accept slides as I am looking to get some experience before I spend my money upgrading to digital equipment. Any guidance?
    The current issue of Shutterbug has an article about the recent changes in the business of stock photography. In a nutshell, you won't make any money unless your images are REALLY unique and they had better be digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need to switch over your whole kit to digital. Just get a nice scanner like the fellow above if you prefer to work with film (and a computer, and server space....). They don't care about your equipment; only the quality of the files. What is it to them if the digital file you send them was originally captured on a CCD/CMOS or a piece of film? I would not bother trying to find a joint that will take your transparencies themselves...it just ain't gonna happen, unfortunately. Think about it from their POV, with the workflow and sales system they currently have in place. How would they place your pix? They would have to scan them first.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-28-2009 at 12:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been away from photograhy for a long time, now, I'm 59 years old and stubborn I guess. So, now I'll start looking for a scanner and update my computer so I can do it right. I was hoping to get into stock photography on the cheap, and, now realize that I've been left way behind. I'm sure that I'm going to have more naive questions down the road and I appreciate your help and candor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    before I spend my money upgrading to digital equipment. Any guidance?
    Most of us on this site would regard that as a downgrade!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Most of us on this site would regard that as a downgrade!!

Steve.
    How true!
    I would recommend like the others have said, have you slides scanned. That is probably just what the agency will do that you give them to.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    2/f 2/f, great advice! You are right, no takers on slides. Soooo..., it looks like a scanner is in my future, maybe that v750. Do you have any suggestions as to photo handling software?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin