Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,680   Online: 877

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm 1000+ miles away from your area but had the good fortune a few years ago to be in that part of the continent for fall. My suggestion, go North young man. The Eastern Townships area of Quebec province have the same mountains, climate and trees as NH & VT, but nowhere near the crowds of sightseeing buses.
    Brome, Magog and Greater Sherbrooke were the areas we visited and were very impressed.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    We have are in the northern Berkshires and there is definitely something going on. The leaves, while technically green, are beginning their change into the yellows and golds of autumn. These are mostly maples right now since birches tend to be just a step behind. Swamp maples (the red ones) are the first ones jumping up and down to get attention.

Anyway, to track the conditions I use a few web sites covering Maine, NH and VT. They have just begun posting updates so peak will come along pretty soon.

Maine: http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/
    New Hampster:http://foliage.visitnh.gov.ns1www.si...dex-flash.html
    Vermont:http://www.foliage-vermont.com/

hope these help out. I'm going to hike the Moat Ridge next Saturday so if there are any APUGers who'd like to join me, let me know and we can arrange times, etc.

IBBY!
    Lizz
    "At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    OK,Who wants to meet up in Brattleboro on Oct 3 or 4 for a fall color shoot?
    OK, I could do that. Maybe some other Apugers from VCP in Brattleboro would be interested as well.

RT
    Last edited by rternbach; 09-21-2009 at 09:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I'm 1000+ miles away from your area but had the good fortune a few years ago to be in that part of the continent for fall. My suggestion, go North young man. The Eastern Townships area of Quebec province have the same mountains, climate and trees as NH & VT, but nowhere near the crowds of sightseeing buses.
    Brome, Magog and Greater Sherbrooke were the areas we visited and were very impressed.Rick
    Yes, compared to Sherbbrooke my area of Western Mass. is overrun with tourists and visitors when the color peaks and this is made worse because the colleges in the area (Mt.Holyoke, Smith, UMASS, Hampshire, Amherst, Williams et al.) all seem to have their family weekends, big football games, and nationally advertised conference meetings scheduled to coincide with peak color. Still, good photo-opportunities abound and with the advice and experience of "locals" who know the backroads and tripod holes most of the traffic and elbowing can be avoided.

RT
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    35mm
    Last year I put almost 140 miles on my shagging around for 'foilage.' I never strayed more than about 9 miles from my home.

If there are "crowds" in the usual places, seek out the unusual places. There are so many side roads and country roads that are off the beaten path it's crazy. And for those of you who have no sense of direction, get a GPS, you won't get lost. (I prefer a 2-dimensional navigation system myself, one made of paper.)

As for north central Mass right now, the colors seem to be muted still. I'm not sure if we're going to get any blazing color or not. With the rain this weekend we'll see.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by firstdue View Post
    ...As for north central Mass right now, the colors seem to be muted still. I'm not sure if we're going to get any blazing color or not. With the rain this weekend we'll see.
    Same holds for Greenfield, Mass. area near 91. It shold be significantly cooler after this rain so that may accelerate the changes though.

RT
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    A few cold nights and the color changes are accelerating here in Western Mass.
    RT
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Now's the Time to Get Serious About Fall Color!

Okay, it's happening fast now in Western Masstts. Looks like peak color this year in the Pioneer Valley may be before Columbus Day. Still, with all the variability over the region there should be lots of color-ops between Southern VT and the Connecticut line over the next ten days.

RT
    Last edited by rternbach; 10-05-2009 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More and more color down around the New Bedford area. I would say this weakend if not a little later will be nearing peak.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Berkshires are past peak per most reports.
    "Get over it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin