Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,673   Online: 803

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Fall Color in New England

First, let me thank everyone who shared info in the recent thread about bookstores in the New England region with good photography collections. I hope others found it as helpful as I did.

This thread hopefully will stimulate discussion concerning areas of Fall color in the region. If N.E. Apugers are willing to share information on this it could prove a good resource for Apugers within the area and those from other regions who are planning color photo safaris this Fall.

I'm 25 minutes north of the Connecticut line in Western Mass. and as of Friday September 18th I don't have anything to report yet. I'm hopeful that the wet weather earlier this summer will make for some good color this year. From what I've seen, The Pioneer Valley around UMASS expects peak color around Columbus Day weekend--on average.

Which reminds me of the old statisitcs joke about the statistician who sat with his feet in the oven and his head in the freezer but on average he was quite comfortable.

Anybody from Northern Maine or New Hampshire have any info to share yet? Anybody in Southern Rhode Island or The Cape care to estimate the average date of peak color in their area?

Apug Leefpeepers of New England unite!!

RT
    Last edited by rternbach; 09-18-2009 at 08:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a photographic leafpeeper and proud of it! I just LOVE the fall colors. Fall is my favorite part of year! AMAZING scenery and a perfect temperature. Apple sider, Kodachrome, and I am ready to rock and roll! I was up near Rumford Maine a couple of weeks ago. We have a place up there. The colors were just starting to come out. Over in the New Bedford, Dartmouth, area very very little color is out but there are small signs it is coming.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the Red Maples are turning, and the color of the particular stand I'm thinking of has been progressing over the last several days. Everything else is still green, so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the Cape has some touches of color...but nothing dramatic yet. How about a foliage tour of the Brattleboro, Vt area?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey I'm out here on the West Coast, sure hope you all will be posting images of the great fall colors.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rternbach View Post
    I'm 25 minutes north of the Connecticut line in Western Mass. and as of Friday September 18th I don't have anything to report yet.

Apug Leefpeepers of New England unite!!

RT

RT, jump on 91 North and bang a left at 89 (or a right in about 2 weeks). I'm in the Hanover/Lebanon, NH area, and our maples are already flaming in spots, the birches are doing their gold-tinged thing, and if they can survive the occasional winds, I'm thinking in a week to ten days we'll be there. Most wonderful fall I can remember in a long time -- sunny days in the 60's, and scraping the bottom of the 40's overnight. I guess we were paying dues during this stupidly rainy summer, because it's really paying off beautifully now. I think this will be one for the books (or the portfolios ).

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by asrafferty View Post
    RT, jump on 91 North and bang a left at 89 (or a right in about 2 weeks). I'm in the Hanover/Lebanon, NH area, and our maples are already flaming in spots, the birches are doing their gold-tinged thing, and if they can survive the occasional winds, I'm thinking in a week to ten days we'll be there. Most wonderful fall I can remember in a long time -- sunny days in the 60's, and scraping the bottom of the 40's overnight. I guess we were paying dues during this stupidly rainy summer, because it's really paying off beautifully now. I think this will be one for the books (or the portfolios ).
    Thanks for that info. We sure did pay our dues putting up with all that rain and humidity this past summer. Glad I saved some KR64 for photos this Fall. We have some family just south of Lebanon so we will make plans to visit them in a couple of weeks but I guess we should call first and not just show up with cameras, film, and the dog.

I'm wondering about the color timeline for the Canada/VT border now that I just heard that the temp for Burlington was below freezing last night. New England may have the best color in the next few weeks but it will probably also be colder than any other region in the lower 48 as well.

See http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peakmap/ but note the disclaimer from Yankee Magazine. Also, their claims that "it will be glorious" sure didn't apply to the 2008 Fall colors.

RT
    Last edited by rternbach; 09-19-2009 at 08:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yankee Magazine has this little web tool: http://www.yankeefoliage.com/. I'm in Boston and some maples are turning but not much else yet, although I haven't been by the Arboretum recently - this weekend for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK,
    Who wants to meet up in Brattleboro on Oct 3 or 4 for a fall color shoot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's my anniversary weekend...hmmm, maybe I can talk my wife into driving up.....??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin