Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,031   Online: 792

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Bill/Whitey,
    It seems I have impolitely intruded on meditations that are too personal to objectively define. Foolish Grasshopper. I still think one can learn a bit about Zen and the Art of Archery by photographing a Kyudo Sensei in action. Might prove a good subject for black and white film photography.
    Rudy
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't see this thread until now and can't make it anyway, but I really hope you guys have a good turnout and get lots of great shots!. NB does have some spots I always wanted to shoot. I was always there for work and never had the chance to wander on my own with a camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As a printmaker I have a belief that a good print can always be made.
    For me it's all about the print, not so much about the shoot.

Doesn't always work, but maybe it doesn't work about as much as other philosophies don't work.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias Roustom View Post
    As a printmaker I have a belief that a good print can always be made. For me it's all about the print, not so much about the shoot. Doesn't always work, but maybe it doesn't work about as much as other philosophies don't work.
    I didn't get serious about studying photography until about four years ago so I probably shouldn't be offering this opinion but what I have gleaned from my teachers is that it is indeed "all about the print" and keeping the final print in mind while shooting. Therein lies the art of photography and a challenge worthy of the true photographic artist. If I've gotten this wrong then it is not the fault of my instructors, they are blameless, it is my own misinterpretation or misperception of what I have heard and seen.
    Last edited by rternbach; 06-09-2010 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias Roustom View Post
    As a printmaker I have a belief that a good print can always be made.
    For me it's all about the print, not so much about the shoot.

Doesn't always work, but maybe it doesn't work about as much as other philosophies don't work.
    To me it's all about the negative! I make lots of them...some I scan and some I just put away for a rainy day!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rternbach View Post
    Bill/Whitey,
    It seems I have impolitely intruded on meditations that are too personal to objectively define. Foolish Grasshopper. I still think one can learn a bit about Zen and the Art of Archery by photographing a Kyudo Sensei in action. Might prove a good subject for black and white film photography.
    Rudy
    Nothing impolite about it, Rudy. And I'm a bit embarrassed by how "cosmic" the answers I gave seem on re-reading, but I think talking about things like art often make us go a bit "woo-woo!" as my son calls it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Nothing impolite about it, Rudy. And I'm a bit embarrassed by how "cosmic" the answers I gave seem on re-reading, but I think talking about things like art often make us go a bit "woo-woo!" as my son calls it.
    Whitey,

I admire your willingness to openly describe your personal creative process. That's not "woo-woo" as I see it. What is "woo-woo" is trying to account for "Art" without openly admitting that the important stuff can neither be timed with a stopwatch nor described in a set procedures checked off on a clipboard.
    I guess by asking for that kind of information I was the one being "woo-woo".

Best,

Rudy
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Whitey said.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bill h View Post
    ...Best advice: show up and take pictures. We'll talk.
    This wasn't the first time I ignored the best advice that's been given to me.
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    EM Letterpress is at 419 Sawyer Street in New Bedford (508) 992 0550. Google maps does a good job showing the neighborhood

From 195 Eastbound, Exit 14 for Penniman Street. Left at bottom of ramp onto County (under highway) 1 stop light, 1 stop sign.
    Left uphil onto Sawyer at stop sign (little white church on opposite left corner, gas station on opposite right corner)...

From 195 Westbound, Exit 15 (18 South/Downtown). Take first exit off of 18 Weld St. Take first right onto Purchase.
    2 Stop signs, left uphill onto Sawyer. 1 stop sign, cross County Street...

Half way up block is mill building. Main tenant is Electrical Wholesalers. Park anywhere. Upper loading dock is our entrance under H. Loeb sign.
    Upstairs (one flight), first door on left.

High Noon. We'll take a little time to get to know each other, and I'll show you around the shop - maybe print something on the iron hand press, and then off to lunch at Antonios (a cooler with ice in it for leftovers is not a bad idea), and then downtown to shoot film.

See you all on Saturday.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin