Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,480   Posts: 1,571,141   Online: 1155

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are a lot of places to photograph near by. Bruce's yard is loaded with great places to photograph. Help Bruce find then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oxtoys.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like fun... the "good ole times."
    [COLOR=Magenta][FONT=Arial Black]Photography is a reflection of one moment in our lives...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Events are coming together for the Open House. I have a gallery area with about 26 feet of display space and excellent lighting. That space will be available for guests to show their work on a rotating basis, so bring prints! I’ll have enough room in the adjacent space for my work.

The subtitle might be “The Richard Ritter Camera Extravaganza,” because we’ll have, at least, 3 Ritter 8x10s, 2 Ritter 7x17s, and whatever else Richard has lying around. We’ll have them all on tripods with lenses for folks to touch. I’m trying to figure out a way for folks to make 8x10 exposures, too. Stay tuned, and if anyone has ideas other than resurrecting Polaroid, please pass them along.

More to come, and if anyone has other ideas, let me know.
    Bruce Barlow
    author, "Finely Focused" and "More Finely Focused"
    www.bwbarlow.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BBarlow690 View Post

The subtitle might be “The Richard Ritter Camera Extravaganza,” because we’ll have, at least, 3 Ritter 8x10s, 2 Ritter 7x17s, and whatever else Richard has lying around. We’ll have them all on tripods with lenses for folks to touch. I’m trying to figure out a way for folks to make 8x10 exposures, too.
    With tongue firmly planted in cheek.......

Oh sure, those 8x10 guys get all the attention....how come you aren't trying to "figger" out a way for folks to make 7x17 exposures

OK, so you point an 8x10 at some of those magnificent rocks on your property, load some film holders with finished photographs of the same image. Let the participants look at the ground glass, put the film holder in the camera and make an exposure. You then have them pull the holder from the camera and remove the darkslide to reveal the finished, toned, signed photograph. Sure beats digital

Or, tell Richard to manufacure some 4x5 cameras and I'll bring a couple polaroid holders and some polaroid film for them to shoot

Sorry Bruce, but I have no practical solutions to offer
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    My darkroom ain't big enough to develop 7x17s. Size matters.

I'm trying to imagine the response of folks when I open the holder and reveal a finished print. Most likely priceless. That might be fun.
    Bruce Barlow

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bringing this back up to the forefront.... Time is drawing near (the wife is on board to "let" me go...so I might make it)
    Some questions:
    1. Do you have an approx. cost...? If we're shooting an 8x10...and keeping the neg, then there is a cost! If there is food and drink, there is cost.
    2. How about staying overnight.....is there room to spread out a "bag?" ...or are there cabins around?
    ...ok to sleep in a car outside your door?
    3. Any experts up there on interior lighting for architectural interiors?
    4. What else.....?

drew

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some questions, and some answers:

1. Do you have an approx. cost...? If we're shooting an 8x10...and keeping the neg, then there is a cost! If there is food and drink, there is cost.

I’m not sure about using 8x10… I think I’ve figured out how to let folks make exposures, but may go with Norma’s 5x7 back (for the Fine Focus Workshops “Cone Exercise”), and Baby Wista 4x5 (for portraits). I’m gonna keep the 5x7 negs, but I’ll mail you a decent print fer free. Ditto 4x5. I’m open to parting with negs, but for ease I’ll develop them, since I really don’t have a sense of how to hand you an undeveloped neg as a take-out item. I’d be happy with $3 per 4x5 (includes developing, proofing, and postage), $4 for a 5x7, I think. Subject to change. 5x7 and 4x5, if I’m absorbing film cost, keeps it more reasonable for me. Let me think about 8x10. We’ll have enough cameras, that’s for sure.

You’re certainly welcome to BYO holders and film.

It’s my party, so I supply the chow. That’s part of my fun.

So it would be easy to hang out for two days, eat well, show your work, and have it all for free.

2. How about staying overnight.....is there room to spread out a "bag?" ...or are there cabins around?

No bags here, sorry. “Cabins”? We’re not quite that rustic. There’s a really nice (and reasonably-priced) B&B nearby. Campgrounds, too (but don’t know if they’ll be open that late in the season). Keene hotels and motels are really expensive. You’d be better off at Motel 6 in Brattleboro (25 minutes away, and a workshop favorite place). Remember, this is peak fall color weekend around here, so reservations might be challenging, and costs higher than other times.

...ok to sleep in a car outside your door?

Nope. I have enough to cope with, and cars and bags and tents imply bathrooms and hospitality that I have to courteously decline to supply outside of roughly the open house hours. No, no digging latrines, either. No, I won’t rent a Porta-Potty. While the open house hours are officially 10 to 5, I’ve got cooking and cleaning and arranging to do, which will keep my wife and I quite busy enough, thank you.

3. Any experts up there on interior lighting for architectural interiors?

Certainly not me, and having people wandering all over the house is probably also off limits. I don’t own lights. The garage is full of winter hay for the steers.

Remember, I’m opening up my house to a fairly large number of people I don’t know. Many are photographers, many more won’t be, and, unlike the photographers, of undetermined honesty.

4. What else.....?

Be kind to your host. This is supposedly only an “art tour” designed to bring civilians to my place, ostensibly to buy my work. Having little confidence that this is a money-making deal, I’ve gone the extra steps to make it into the “Photography Extravaganza,” with the help of other folks, in order to have more fun than I might, meet good folks, and do something maybe worthwhile. It’s also a chance for Richard to strut his camera stuff, and I’d like to help him do that. It’s also an excuse to get John Bowen, a good friend, up here, which is worth almost any amount of hassle.

That said, I was told I was crazy when I was in an art show in Keene last year and brought all three LF cameras just for display. It worked out fine. This is a quantum leap beyond, and I think we can make all three rings of the circus work. But as Ringmaster, I need to be able to set, and even change, the rules without hard feelings.

So, that’s current thinking. Three weeks! Egad!
    Bruce Barlow

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. thought someone said we (those dropping in) could shoot w/an 8x10... I have a 4x5...so I'm all set, thanks.
    2. We'll be kind...

Shooter
    Large Format
    1. Well, I didn't say so previously. Mr. Bowen planted tongue in cheek and gave a delightful idea. I think I can figure it out. As I said, I've got it sorted out with 5x7 and 4x5. Let me think on it
    2. Thank you. I've resisted using my favorite phrase, "Goat Rodeo," because it implies a negative connotation I don't at all intend. I think it's going to be a really good time. But a lot of work.
    Bruce Barlow

Shooter
    Large Format
    Weather's looking good: partly cloudy and low 60s.

Directions can be found here: http://sitekreator.com/fallfoilage/main_page.html

Hope to see you either or both days!
    Bruce Barlow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin