Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,557,002   Online: 1141

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Can I touch your camera?

I live in the Waterbury CT area (please don't hold that against me), and I'm thinking about making the jump from Medium to large format, but I'm not really sure. What I would like to know is if there is anyone that might be willing to meet me in a quite public place like a park that has things to photograph in it, and show me a large format camera and how to use it. Maybe this could even be some sort of gathering with several people with cameras and several people that want to see them. I know this is asking a lot, but seeing how a large format camera costs as much as a small car I want to be as informed as possible before I do it.

Thank you.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are interested in LF photography, you should watch this video first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a64iG...eature=related

On a serious note, how far are you willing to travel?
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    I...I know this is asking a lot, but seeing how a large format camera costs as much as a small car I want to be as informed as possible before I do it.

Thank you.

LF needn't cost that much, in fact a used camera, typically less than $200, is your best bet, as you will almost never get what you want in your first camera. Only by using it will you discover shortcomings based on your way of shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This weekend I'm shooting with a Speed Graphic 4x5 that was given me... it has many of the qualities of a fine 4x5 camera, and many of the pleasures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    I know this is asking a lot, but seeing how a large format camera costs as much as a small car I want to be as informed as possible before I do it.
    No, it does not cost as much as a small car. It is much less expensive. I recently bought a 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic and a 4"x5" Graflex Model D with lens for less than you would pay for a half decent [if they exist] DSLR. Included was a custom made plate to allow me to use a Graflok back on the Model D.

There are no stupid questions except the ones that were not asked and should have been. Also check out www.graflex.org, read all the sections on the home page and then go to the "Help Board". Another good resource is www.largeformatphotography.info.

You are in Connecticut and I am in Virginia, so you will need to find someone else who will allow you to touch their "unit" or "junk".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll meet you at the Port Jefferson Terminal.
    Send me a PM.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're up for a short drive up I 91, come up to Bruce Barlow's open studio event, see this thread for details; http://www.apug.org/forums/forum139/...-house-nh.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yup, we'd love to have you come visit. Hey, the Keene Swamp Bats come your way during baseball season!

We'll have all kinds of cameras for you to play with, and many knowledgeable people who can show you how it's done.

Weather looks good, the menu's almost complete. Come see us this Saturday, Sunday, or both!

directions can be found here: http://sitekreator.com/fallfoilage/main_page.html
    Bruce Barlow
    author, "Finely Focused" and "More Finely Focused"
    www.bwbarlow.wordpress.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin