Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,268   Online: 781

Shooter
    35mm

Current Shows at Boston MFA

Richard Avedon and Nicholas Nixon at the MFA. Two fantastic shows worth seeing.
    The Avedon show was wonderful, a real treat really. A mix of original silver prints, and I'm sure several ink jets. Some of the paste up work was there too, and fascinating to see. I was impressed by the grain in the prints, and frankly the lack of sharpness and even focus in some prints. It really made me realize that great photos are a sum of all parts. I only had a short time with Nixon's work, but it was an interesting contrast to Avedon - sharp sharp photos, crisp and of a much different nature. Intimate portraits, baby picutres, self portraits. I'm not an art critic... and this is just a short note to encourage a visit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm blown away at Nick's spontaneity with his 8x10 and 11x14. I asked him how he does it; he said he always leaves his camera set up on the tripod so he can grab it and its set to go, and within 10 seconds have an image captured. I tried this. It didn't help. Guess that it just comes through loads of experience and intuition.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Nick Nixon show is great, and seeing all of the Brown sisters together is quite something! Last I was there, there was room for one more print... I think they might add this years Brown sisters portrait before the show comes down. Think it's up until May. If you are in Boston or passing through in the next few months, it's worth seeing. I enjoyed the Avedon up to a point... it was all fashion work, none of his more interesting portraits. That show may have closed recently, I think. I need to get there to see the new wing...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Avedon show closed yesterday 1/17/2011. A terrific show that really displayed his genius as an artist visionary.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin