Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,594   Online: 820

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

maine photography show

Has anyone from Maine here participated in this? I've been selected to be in the show/exhibit and had a couple questions for people who have done this before. First time I've entered or done this sort of thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where and when is the show?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boothbay harbor, this spring.

http://www.mainephotographyshow.com/generalMPS.html

I was kinda curious how many participants are exhibiting, what size prints and frames are most common or work best in the exhibit space, and other subjective observations from people who have attended or participated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a friend in Maine whose work was accepted, and I'm lending her my darkroom to get her prints done. I think she'll be printing 11x14's and getting them properly framed, along with few extra prints to be matted for the bins. Hope that helps...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi JP...I've also been juried in...last year they received approximately 750 entries, and from those, 100 were selected for the show...there are two floors to the gallery (it's long and narrow), and most images are 8X10, framed accordingly, though a good number were larger--though not a lot larger. The reception and Best of Show, etc, awards were presented Friday night (I believe), and the gallery was packed-- with people waiting outside to get in. Parking is on the town streets, and not too bad, as it is after store hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Vincent! Good information. I avoid that area in the summer except when work takes me to squirrel island, but spring/fall in boothbay harbor is nice.

My photo is a 6x6cm B&W which I'm inclined to print square on 11x14 paper so it'll be 10ish" square and in a 16x20 frame. Based on your description, that sounds reasonable and normal.

From what I understand they have had Jay Stock pick the images to exhibit. Who picks the best of show and the category winners?

Vincent; good website too. you mention an interest in abandoned places nearby on your website; when the snow melts you're welcome to go into my 200 year old abandoned house in Owls Head. Till then you can photograph the exterior anytime without special arrangement. Pix here:
    http://jason.philbrook.us/gallery3/i...lbum200?page=1

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Congratulations.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vincent ended up with some sort of prize/recognition for a quality B&W shore scene of fisherman working on their gear. It had some good dynamics in it's composition and was presented well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin