Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,433   Online: 1101

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Doing some research

Hi,

I'm coming down to NYC for a much needed vacation the first week of May. I'm staying at my brother's place in lower Manhattan (Battery Park) and I plan to do a lot of photography while. I plan to pack an OM-1 MD and a Rolleicord and just wander the streets shooting tons of film.

What should I avoid, and more importantly what would be cool places worth checking out? I will have access to tripod as my brother is also into photography, I do want to get a night shot of Times Square while I'm down here.

Cheers

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What should I avoid

I would think your brother would be better able to answer that question.

, and more importantly what would be cool places worth checking out?

That depends upon what your preferences are (street, architecture, people, landscape, etc.). NYC has it all. A boat tour of Manhattan will give you great shots of the bridges from the water--a different perspective. A walk of the Brooklyn Bridge can give you many great shots of the bridge. Central Park can occupy you for days. I was there during Memorial Day one year, and I couldn't shoot fast enough! Consider taking shots (photos that is) from high up in nearby buildings to get a different view than a street view. If you have a telephoto lens (200 mm should do), take the Staten Island Ferry (it's free) and get shots of the Statue of Liberty as you go by.

I will have access to tripod as my brother is also into photography, I do want to get a night shot of Times Square while I'm down here.

I found it hard to get night shots because by the time I got set up, some rent-a-cop came by to tell me no-can-do. I knew I had a right to take the photos, but being a guest, I moved on. I had the same experience photographing buildings in mid-town and downtown during the day. Being prepared, courteous, and friendly might get you the shot anyway. A night shot of the fountain at Lincoln Centre would be great.

Cheers

Bill[/QUOTE]
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin