Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,458   Online: 873

Shooter
    35mm

Buying cameras in Japan

Is there any price advantage to buy cameras in Japan versus to buy from B&H in NYC?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could probably check here and compare prices: http://japancamerahunter.com/find-a-camera-in-japan/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    *Japanese* camera gear tend to be quite a bit cheaper in Japan. While I'd stick to Ebay for European gear, I always go to Yahoo Auctions in Japan form my Mamiya, Pentax, etc. fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    *Japanese* camera gear tend to be quite a bit cheaper in Japan. While I'd stick to Ebay for European gear, I always go to Yahoo Auctions in Japan form my Mamiya, Pentax, etc. fix.
    That's interesting. Living in Japan I NEVER buy camera gear here -- it's much cheaper to buy in the U.S. and have it shipped here. Of course, that depends on what you are looking for. That being said, the (used) cameras here tend to be in much better condition than I've seen anywhere else. If you want new camera gear, then you're probably better off buying from B&H.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to go to Japan (and other Asian countries) very often on business. This started in the early 80's and continued thru about 1998. I NEVER found cheaper camera goods abroad than NYC mail order.

A long time friend is Japanese expat who now lives in Seattle. Since he has family in Japan still, he frequently goes back to Japan for months at a time. I recall that one trip he went in search of a camera and fast zoom lens. In the end, after much shopping and bargaining, the BEST he could do was to equal B&H prices! In order to save the most money, he should have purchased only the body in one country, and only the lens in the other country, as each country could provide the lowest price on ONE of the two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my limited experience I agree with the above. Canon lenses are cheaper here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never found Japan cheaper. What I did find was that you could find anything and everything. I find a beautiful Leica M7 that was cheaper than European standards. The camera shops are incredible and there are some that you cannot see from the street view. You need to know where they are.

Japan has choice, not price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess it might depend on the "what" and the condition.

For example, I've bought a Pentax Spotmatic & 50/1.4 on Yahoo Auctions for $1500 yen, listed as "junk status, no returns", that, upon receipt, look better than most of the "Excellent" stuff I get on Ebay. I've been able to pick up several Mamiya Universal Press 6x9 backs on said auction site for 3~4000 yen (they go for 70~80USD on Ebay). I purchased a WLF for my Pentax 67II on Yahoo for ~4,000 yen or so (much more expensive on Ebay). You can go get a Norita 66 on Yahoo for ~80,000 yen (1K USD), which go for 12~1300USD on Ebay. Etc.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin