Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,096   Online: 783

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NY/NJ trip

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was thinking we could hit Asbury in the morning. I know people are coming from New York, so probably later in the AM would be best. All of the locations I attached above are within a few blocks of each other, making it fairly easy to get around. I thought we could hit Sandy Hook after, which is about 20-25 minutes north. I have talked to the superintendent of the park about shooting at the fort. The area with the good bunkers requires a permit and a ranger to accompany. She told me it is $45/hour. The paperwork she sent me said groups of 11-20 would be $400/day. I have to call her tomorrow (Monday) to go over these numbers. There are other areas that are free to get into, but not as photographic. After that, whoever would like to develop/print is welcome in the darkroom. I can work until midnight, so that is not an issue. Due to time restraints, it might be a good idea to bring negatives, then anyone who wants to try Platinum or Azo will be able to without having to wait to develop negs. If people want to get a hotel room and print in the morning (remember Sunday is Father's Day), that is an option as well. I'm very flexible on my end. I will call the park tomorrow, then post an update tomorrow night. If people could post a good time to start, that could give us an idea of what will work for everyone. - Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still planning on the 18th but P/P and Azo are not on my dance card. I expect the Jersey Shore will be crawling with people on a nice Saturday afternoon. Is the merry-go-round still in A.P.? I would opt for the lighthouse and surroundings unless they are dull.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The best thing about Asbury- No crowds. Not for a while until the 3,000 condos are built. Yes, the merry-go-round is still around, but the building is closed. It is in the pictures attached. Third group down, first picture.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I spoke with the superintendent and head ranger at the park today. It won't be $400/day, but rather $45/hour to pay a ranger overtime to supervise. I have to speak to one more person tomorrow, who knows the locations better. He can tell me which locations are best. I will then go out on the weekend and take pictures and post them. Sorry I haven't scouted the location yet, time isn't on my side. - Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    11AM (or even earlier) is good for me and I plan to drive so anybody looking for a ride let me know. I won't be able to make it a late night but 6 or 7 seems doable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The time is fine with me also.

Bruce, can you give me a ride? Because your time table is about the same as mine. If it's ok, PM me where and when should I meet you that day. Thanks

Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I could use a ride, and both Bruce and Tom are offering. For which of you would it be less of an inconvenience? I'm up by 125th and Riverside, but I could also meet somewhere downtown (ideally not too far from a 1 train stop), if that's easier. I also need to get back to Manhattan (Soho) kind of early, so if I could head back with you, Bruce, that would be great. Thanks!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    ......................... I also need to get back to Manhattan (Soho) kind of early, so if I could head back with you, Bruce, that would be great. Thanks!
    This could work. I'm driving down with highpeak and could easily enough bring you back with us thru Manhattan.

I'll pick you up, David, between 9 and 9:30. It will save Bruce the trip up to Manhattan. I'll let Bruce take you home, although I could do that too. BTW, what do you mean by "kind of early"?

Jim, is there a street name or address for the Asbury Park train station, that way I do a mapquest on it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, Bruce and Tom! That should work. I have to meet my in-laws in Soho for dinner, so as long as I'm back by some reasonable dinner hour (say 6-8), that should be fine. We haven't made specific plans yet. If I'm back earlier, I can drop my equipment at home, but if not, I can bring it with me.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin