Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,890   Online: 1179

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Cloisters, Saturday, May 27?

So I'll be spending the weekend in NYC. While my GF is shopping on 5th Ave with her friends, I'll be going up to the Cloisters to do some photography. If anyone wants to come, I'm planning on taking the M4 bus, as described below near Grand Central. I figure I can take some pic from the bus along the way. The bus trip sounds interesting.

If anyone wants to join me, let's meet at the entrance to Track 24 at 10am in Grand Central Terminal. We'll walk to Madison and grab the M4 bus.

Below is a excerpt I pulled from the web describing the Cloisters. Also, looks like photography is permitted, but tripods are not permitted on the weekend.

Regards, Art.

The Cloisters is one of our favorites places not for just what it contains, but also for its setting. Ft Tryon Park and the Inwood neighborhood are set in areas carved by retreating glaciers and present some of the most dramatic scenery in New York City. Pinch yourself. Yes, you are in Manhattan. If time permits, instead of taking the A train, hop on the M4 bus anywhere along Madison Avenue in Midtown. It can be quite a long ride (an hour or more), but the bus wends its way along the Upper East Side, across the lower portion of Harlem, then on up Broadway through the thriving Washington Heights neighborhood and on into Inwood along Washington Avenue. It's a great way to get a tour of Manhattan neighborhoods that you otherwise might not see
    The Cloisters is a branch of the [color=#0000ff]Metropolitan Museum of Art[/color] dedicated to medieval religious and secular art from the twelfth through fifteenth centuries. Contrary to popular belief it was not John D Rockefeller Jr who brought the nuclei of the Cloisters and its collection to NYC. George Grey Barnard was a sculptor and admirer of most things Gothic. He searched France for the nearly 700 pieces of medieval art and architecture he purchased and established the first Cloisters in a building of his own design on Ft Washington Avenue in 1914. It was in 1925 that Rockefeller donated money so the museum could buy the collection and, five years later, the new Cloisters was installed within Ft Tryon Park, for which the land was, again, donated to the City by Rockefeller

There are 18 main areas incorporated into the Cloisters, arranged chronologically and focusing mainly on the Romanesque and Gothic styles of medieval art, architecture and decoration. The highlights, of course, are the five medieval Cloisters, built around sections brought to NYC by Barnard. On any day--bright and sunny, grey and cloudy--each cloister is a study in serene harmony. You just don't talk loudly in these exquisitely proportioned courts
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The M4 goes right by my apartment. I'll try to make it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    The M4 goes right by my apartment. I'll try to make it.
    Cool! I hope you can make it. It's been a while, David.

Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sounds very interesting! Unfortunately, I already have plans for the long weekend and will miss this. Hope you guys have a good time, and post some images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay
    This sounds very interesting! Unfortunately, I already have plans for the long weekend and will miss this. Hope you guys have a good time, and post some images.
    Hey Sanjay, we missed you last Sunday.

Art.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I can get up that early, I will be there too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would love to join you but I have family coming in from Texas, grandkids and all, that I haven't seen in some time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to live on Bennett Ave (the A train stop for the Cloisters) and I truly miss being able to go on a Sunday ... take a few for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Given that I'm about halfway there, it doesn't make sense for me to go down to Grand Central. How about I meet you folks, say, at about 11:30 up at the M4 bus stop at the Cloisters?

According to the schedule, the M4 takes about 75 minutes to get from 42nd St to the Cloisters, or about 30 minutes from where I live.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Art, I will be at grand central a little bit earlier than 10am, I'll take some pictures inside grand central, I will call you or I just wait for you at the bus stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin