Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,948   Online: 815

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

World Toy Camera Day in NYC

Saturday, October 21.

Anyone want to meet up and shoot some street with a Toy Camera that day? Plus we can also visit ICP (I have free passes for a couple people). Post a message, and I'll organize an interesting route and iternerary.

You MUST bring only a Toy Camera!

If you don't have one, I have several to lend - a Lomo Fisheye, a Daylab 4x5 Pinhole, a Lomo Action Sampler, a Pentax 110, a couple Holgas, and a Diana.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would a high-end digital SLR qualify?

Oh wait - it's in NYC. Too far for me.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When did a Pentax 110 become a toy camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    When did a Pentax 110 become a toy camera?
    Following up on this --- is there a definition or consensus on what constitutes a "toy camera"?

I'm serious in asking this. Last winter I was in a gallery in Hudson, NY and one of the exhibits was a series of very nice pics taken by what the photographer said was a "toy camera".

His point, of course, was that one can take serious (and some very good) pictures with a "toy". Unfortunately, nowhere in the exhibit (nor could I find reference in his book) did it say what toy camera(s) it was/were that he used.

So I am curious about what constitutes a "toy" camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Bump

I'm game for some toy camera fun.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    In the definition of the toy camera, I think Christopher James summed it up well in the Plastic Camera chapter of his book Alternative Photographic Processes:

"Basically, in order to be considered a true and worthy toy camera the following qualities must be present: a mysterious shutter speed, minimal aperature control, no focusing control, a soft and romantic interpretation of subject and light, light leaks, and infinite charismatic charm."
    I have to say that there's a lot of other valuable info in this book (that I truly enjoyed) and I'd honestly recommend it to anyone.

--A

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin