Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,948   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess we should do an APUG meet around here sometime. Someone want to volunteer a winery location ... wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know what I mean?
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you guys think we should have a "field day" at some mutually agreeable location?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Large Format
    Earl,
    If you are looking for a winery location for a meet I can be found at Knapp Winery five days a week. Located in Romulus, New York. The month of Oct isn't a good time for me, as we are up to our arm pits in the harvest of the grapes. ( Pun intended) If we could get a weekend with good weather I would be very interested in a get together.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A "weekend with good weather"? In this area???

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV View Post
    A "weekend with good weather"? In this area???
    Hasn't been much better on the eastern side of the State either this year. Why do the only nice days happen in the middle of the week!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm another one from the land of the shrinking yellow father and I'd be up for a getogether. I'm surprised we haven't heard from Frank P. yet.
    Melchi M. Michel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just checked in on this... I was a Knapp today(!), for tasting and lunch with a group of over 30. It was very pleasant ... I bought the '04 cab franc. I a bit of a cab franc freak.

The '05 pinot is VERY promising ... after my barrel tasting at Hillebrand in a couple of weeks I'll see how deep a hole I've put in my credit card... maybe then I'll put away some of the pinot.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Earl,
    If you are a fan of Merlot, we just bottled a very fine 04 that is the best I have tasted. We also have a Merlot crop on the vine, which isn't something that happens every year. This crop looks to be a very special vintage that will be ready in about two years.
    By the way, while you were enjoying lunch I was working on my new darkroom. It goes sloooowly!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar View Post
    Just checked in on this... I was a Knapp today(!), for tasting and lunch with a group of over 30. It was very pleasant ... I bought the '04 cab franc. I a bit of a cab franc freak.

The '05 pinot is VERY promising ... after my barrel tasting at Hillebrand in a couple of weeks I'll see how deep a hole I've put in my credit card... maybe then I'll put away some of the pinot.

Quote Originally Posted by rjs003 View Post
    Earl,
    If you are a fan of Merlot, we just bottled a very fine 04 that is the best I have tasted. We also have a Merlot crop on the vine, which isn't something that happens every year. This crop looks to be a very special vintage that will be ready in about two years.
    By the way, while you were enjoying lunch I was working on my new darkroom. It goes sloooowly!
    I haven't been into Finger Lake wines for a very long time and was unaware that you are now having success with Merlot and Cab Franc. I do remember the preachings of Dr. Konstantin Frank (?) back when I was a college student at SUNY/Buffalo.

Are these true French varietals or hybrids you're working with? Ditto regarding the Pinot?

Perhaps it's time for a trip out that way...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I haven't been into Finger Lake wines for a very long time and was unaware that you are now having success with Merlot and Cab Franc. I do remember the preachings of Dr. Konstantin Frank (?) back when I was a college student at SUNY/Buffalo.

Are these true French varietals or hybrids you're working with? Ditto regarding the Pinot?

Perhaps it's time for a trip out that way...
    They are having a great deal of success with French Varietals. You will find the Cab S they do will be somewhat lgihter, the Pinot isn't bad at all, and the other reds will be on the lighter side - but all good.

And of course, Reisling, Gewurtz, and the other whites are excellent.

I never went for Cab Franc - has a very sharp taste to me that I haven't become accustomed to.

But it is worth a trip, though the quality is improving, it is still somewhat uneven.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin