Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,998   Online: 897

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    They are having a great deal of success with French Varietals. You will find the Cab S they do will be somewhat lgihter, the Pinot isn't bad at all, and the other reds will be on the lighter side - but all good.

And of course, Reisling, Gewurtz, and the other whites are excellent.

I never went for Cab Franc - has a very sharp taste to me that I haven't become accustomed to.

But it is worth a trip, though the quality is improving, it is still somewhat uneven.
    You probably already know that Cab Franc is a "difficult" grape and not used in France on a stand-alone basis - but as a "blender", usually with Cab S and Merlot for the classic Bordeaux.

That said, they have had some very good luck on the North Fork of LI with Cab Franc. And there are some CA vinters that are offering it (at least as the "major" within a blend).

With NYS wines, I'm more familiar these days with North Fork offerings of true varietals - but limited land area (always under development threat too) means that production quantities will always be low - resulting in higher prices than I can justify for the quality. It is just a damn shame that the potential of the North Fork was only discovered in the 1970's - as the bulldozers were coming into to turn the old potato fields into subdevelopments!

More on the photog front - for reasons quite unexpected, I've just won a Hassey 503cxi and now have to figure out what to do with it! If not this autumn, perhaps if you guys out there do a springtime in the vineyards get together - I can join you with both 35mm and MF in hand?

I know I'm part "eastern NY" and part "evil downstater" but I graduated from SUNY/Buffalo so I know what a real NYS winter is!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    rjs: Thanks for the tip. I will definitely look into the merlot. I'm not a huge fan, but when it is top shelf, it is wonderful. The '03 Showcase at Hillebrand was stunning at the barrell tasting, but after bottle aging it didn't make it. That was a lot of wine down the drain.

George: They are true varietals. I would say that, with all due respect, cab franc is just now coming into its own in the FL. Long Point (also on Cayuga) made the best I have tasted from the FL so far, with the 04 Knapp bottling a close second. That's FWIW, since I haven't done an exhaustive, structured blind tasting of all of them.

B&D: Cab franc can have a vegetal component that is too prominent or not well integrated. But since you are so close to NOTL area, make a trip to Hillebrand, Peller, Angel's Gate, Stratus and some others. Hillebrand does the best cab franc, IMO, and their Showcase (unfiltered) bottlings can be quite, quite stunning. The 95 was just over the moon for me, and the 98 and 99s perhaps equal. I have a couple of 99s that I will open this winter with a good meal.

JL Groux is the winemaker at Stratus, but formerly of Hillebrand. He is from the Loire valley, was educated and trained in France (both Burgundy and Bordeaux), so he knows a thing or two...

BTW, Angel's Gate has perhaps the most spectacular view from their patio bistro of all the Ontario wineries. Peninsula Ridge (I've not yet visited) is one the same road, along with Thirty Bench. Daniel Lenko is the cult wineries nearby, but sells out quickly every year. Right now the tasting room is closed, but it is quite an experience. Danny's mom greets you and makes apple or pumpkin pie from local fruit. She gives you a piece "After you're done with your tasting!" All take place in the kitchen of the original Lenko home. Sounds weird, but it's a ton of fun.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    [...] With NYS wines, I'm more familiar these days with North Fork offerings of true varietals - but limited land area (always under development threat too) means that production quantities will always be low - resulting in higher prices than I can justify for the quality. It is just a damn shame that the potential of the North Fork was only discovered in the 1970's - as the bulldozers were coming into to turn the old potato fields into subdevelopments!
    I have heard good things about LI wines. Glad to hear it isn't misplaced. But don't think that wines here int he FL region are particularly cheap! Given the volumes they produce in, some is right up there with average California wine prices.

I will grant that the development pressures are much smaller than Long Island - since the urban belt from the North (Rochester and Syracuse) have lots of land to expand on to, and the populations are stable to falling (though the town of Victor in the SE of ROchester area seems to be expanding towards Canadaigua - a finger lakes city - and the area population surprisingly grew 20% in the last few years).

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    More on the photog front - for reasons quite unexpected, I've just won a Hassey 503cxi and now have to figure out what to do with it! If not this autumn, perhaps if you guys out there do a springtime in the vineyards get together - I can join you with both 35mm and MF in hand?

I know I'm part "eastern NY" and part "evil downstater" but I graduated from SUNY/Buffalo so I know what a real NYS winter is!
    If it were all up to me, it would be open to everyone - even "evil downstaters" (would love to compare a Hassy 503 with a 501 either way) - I am hopeful we'd even allow 315'ers!
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV View Post
    A "weekend with good weather"? In this area???
    When I moved to Schenectady 38 years ago, I was told that the name of the city was an old Algonquin word that meant "rain on the weekend".
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George: Many of the wineries in the Finger Lakes use LI fruit, as there is often not enough grown locally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    When I moved to Schenectady 38 years ago, I was told that the name of the city was an old Algonquin word that meant "rain on the weekend".
    The only problem with that is that the native americans didn't seem to follow our weekday schedule, so they had no weekend AFAIK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW, Doctor K. Frank died recently on a trip. I found that his wines didn't suit me at all. I rarely drank them, and when I did, I ended up with a headache.

But, what about getting together? Did everyone drink so much that they forgot the original question?

There is always lunch buffet at the Belhurst Castle on Seneca lake. Then we can all go to our favorite vinyard.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The only problem with that is that the native americans didn't seem to follow our weekday schedule, so they had no weekend AFAIK.

PE
    But, they may have figured it out and arranged for the synch-up.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be up for a meeting later in October or early November. I just got back from a trip (business) to San Jose and am busy the next two weekends, and the 3rd weekend in Oct. I'd like to just crash at home. Belhurst sounds good, but I'd be open to other options as well.

Earl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George: Actually, cab franc is less difficult than cab sauv in some ways. And it is used as a single varietal in Loire, though the style is normally more fruity (though not a fruit bomb) and less tannic than Niagara and NY cab franc. JL Groux, currently at Stratus and formerly at Hillebrand, is from Loire and is a master of the grape, IMO. It matures about 2-3 weeks earlier than cab sauv, so often does better in colder climates when the summer is challenged. I suspect that this year will be better for cab franc than cab sauv.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin