Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,982   Online: 904

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    Wait, is that day the superbowl going to be aired?
    The game is always on a Sunday night.....and after the light is gone in Central Park on any day in February

Sounds like a good outing if the weather isn't nasty. I'd certainly like to come with my new Shen-Hao 4x5. (At last I now have a 4x5 I can schlepp without wishing I had a mule to help.)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

No permits needed.

The regulations apply to special events (think Papal Mass) and professional film companies. No one's going to roust a dozen photographers shooting big weird cameras, unless we/they make a nuisance. Then someone will (rightly) send in the park rangers and tell them/us to move on.

The birders routinely congregate in the Rambles with tripods, without permits. I've shot on tripod in Central Park for years, and no one has ever once questioned me.

Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Birders also congregate around the model boat basin with sometimes enormous tripods and scopes to keep tabs on Pale Male and his nest. They are often willing to let one take a look. I think the scopes (There was one a few years ago that had to be at least a 12" reflector) and their supports are more interesting than the birds.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The permits are free. I usually fax in the morning and I get a fax back in the afternoon.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 01-06-2007 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well, if half as many people show up as said they would, we'll have a great crowd. For those of you not following the listserv (see my initial post) the planned date is Feb 3 with a likely backup date being Feb 10. I will be arranging for a group permit, regardless as to whether one is truly required or not. The initial meeting time will be 9:00am at the Bethesda Terrace with a second meeting time/place TBD. The plan is to do lunch at the boathouse ( http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.c...tions/home.htm ) if I can get us reservations and if they admit our sort of riffraff . We have a few interesting places to photograph in mind and we'll have a list put together before we begin.

If you want to be on the mailing list and can't seem to get it to work (I'm new to it to) send me an email (alec(at)alec.com) and I'll add you directly.

Cheers!
    --A

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    An update: We're still on for this weekend. The deal is that we are going without a permit. It seems that the city and Central Park Conservancy does not issue photo permits for the weekend. I was told, "We don't permit any filming/photography on weekends (this is because the Park is much busier and there are always events happening throughout the Park)."

"...however, I would suggest coming into the Park without an official permit. We don't require individuals (non-professionals) to apply for permits if they come in with a simple tripod set-up."

I'm bringing a copy of that email with me.

We'll be meeting at 9:00AM at the Bethesda Fountain, and we'll meet up again (for those traveling from outside the city) at 11:00AM at the Bow Bridge.

Per the email from the CPC fellow, the rules for shooting in the park are simple: Be sure to keep all equipment on paved pathways and do not block any area of the
    Park.

Weather forecast for Saturday (thus far, which means little) is Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the low 20s. The day before it's supposed to be in the low 40s, so we'll see. If the weather is truly miserable we'll postpone until Feb 10. (I'll post updates here the night before) Look forward to seeing you all!

Cheers!
    --A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alec, the city's response has always been my experience, in many years of shooting off a tripod in the Park.

I had wanted to join you all. But family business requires me to be in Virginia this weekend. I'll come to the spring meeting. :-)

Best,

Sanders McNew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may as well say that I will not be able to make it either. The following week would be possible if it gets postponed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Central Park Shoot

Hi Alec,
    Just wanted to thank you and all the great people that showed up today in Central Park. I was one of the pinhole camera guys -ARTHUR-shooting 4x5. Very nice group of people. I am horrible with names but if you know the e-mail of the man from Westfield NJ or if he reads this please shoot my an email>Also hello to my friend from Toronto.
    Thanks again for making this pinhole guy comfortable.
    Arthur, NYC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin