Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,329   Online: 722

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm planning to go, but can't get down to NYC until Saturday. Anyone else going Saturday?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

saturday

Suzanne-I plan on going on Saturday so send me a PM please...
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    ...can't get down to NYC until Saturday.
    Unfortunately have to fly home Saturday. It would have been great to meet you both Suzanne and Peter.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm disappointed that you are leaving on Saturday, Bill, it would have been fun to meet you. Ah well... maybe next year? Will some of your prints stay longer? I'd love to see those!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Will some of your prints stay longer? I'd love to see those!!
    Yes, there will be work at the Halsted Gallery booth throughout the show. Only a couple on the wall, but just ask to see others. There will be a grouping out on the tables as well. Thanks in advance for looking!

Sorry we won't get to meet Suzanne, but there is always next year. I wish I had more time as there is a lot I'd like to do while in town.

Anyone else going that would like to meet, either stop by the booth and leave your name and cell number if I am not there. I'll be there Friday only and will be going to the Wall exhibit at MOMA in the morning, but will be in the Armory at the show for the rest of the day.

Have a great show everyone!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A report from the show ...

So Jim (aj-images) and I went to the AIPAD Photogrpahy Show 2007 yesterday at the Park Avenue Armory. Awesome show. Very similar in concept and size to Photo LA 2007 - except this show did not have lectures or seminars like Photo LA did.

OK so we enter this grand complex and the first I say is Wow! The Park Avenue Armory is a fantastic venue. Large chandeliers, grand lobbies, magnificent staircases with hand carved mahogany handrails, interior details in the mouldngs, large magnificent windows, and too much more to describe here.

So on Jim's insistence to follow a grid pattern, not dis-similar to a search pattern - what are you looking for Jim? Actually this is the best way to go when going one of these. We first did the perimeter and then zig-zagged the interior booths. So these notes are of booths and photographers that had an impact on me. Film photographers only.

First stop was the Peter Fetterman Gallery where several Sebastian Salgado prints amazed me. The three were the quarry in South America, The Penguins and the surreal Iceberg image. Selgado doesn't let grain bother him.

Peter Hugo is a South African photographer who had one image that stood out - a gang of Nigerians who had hyenas as pets. This huge image was shown at the Yossi Milo Gallery booth. I can't help but compare this image to those who have pitbulls as an expression of power. Like some images I have seen of these pitbull, the hyenas are chained and muzzled. The men are displaying their show of fierceness.

Jim introduced me to Rolfe Horn. Just amazing work of his shown at the Scott Nichols Gallery. At the end of the day we went back there and the following conversation ensued:
    • 20 Year Old Looking Rave Dressed Art: I'd like to buy the Rolfe Horn first edition book please.
    • Snooty Gallery Owner: You know it's $250?
    • Me: Yes, I'd like it couriered to me.
    • bla, bla, bla ...
    • Decrepit Jim Looking Like a Bum from Jersey: Yeah, I'd like the book and this print too.
    • Snooty Gallery Owner with a jaw dropping look trying to pull his entire leg out of his mouth: Um ... the First Edition too?
    • You know, if these art dealers start to realize there is a market out there who would buy prints as long as they aren't looked down upon by pretentious a$$holes, maybe they would sell more. Dunno? Just a thought.

The Zabriskie Gallery had googlegrams from Joan Fucoberta. These are images made from images searched using Google and stitched together. Not traditional by any means, but I thought it was interesting.

Lots of foreign galleries with great images - here's a couple that impressed me:
    • Daniel Blau Gallery from Munich, Germany.
    • This is the second time I have seen The Picture Photo Space gallery from Osaka, Japan. Again, I loved the work of Kunihiko Katsumata. His work shows industrial city scape horizons where the city is small sliver in the overall scene.
    • Toronto's own Stephen Bulger Gallery showed a couple Edward Burtynsky images of quarries and large ships in dry dock. Part of his Manufactured Landscapes series. As well, there were fine b&w images from Dave Heath.
    • Vee Speers likes to dress up kids with props of machine guns and other firearms, gas masks and dead rats, and an assortment of other stuff that would require a serious model release. Shown at the Josef Lebovic Gallery from Australia.
    • I got a nice desk calendar for free at the Byron McMahon Gallery, also from Australia.

The Charles Isaac Gallery had interesting images from Heather Lin. Haunting images of out of focus shadows.

Industrial power plant images from the photographic duo of Jonathan Anderson and Edwin Low were shown at the David Gallery.

I thought the collage of images of pliers and other tools by Rondal Partridge were interesting. In part they were being shown in the charmingly named Winter Works on Paper Gallery. They also had a series of mug shots with the following provenance - "Photographer: Police Department".

Jeff Thomas, a native Canadian Iroquois, had a series of an Indian figurine in various locations from rail tracks to suburbia. Reminiscent of the travel gnome or the hijacked pink lawn flamingo series. His bio and his study of Indian-ness can be read here: http://www.bruntmag.com/issue2/thomas.html

Looking through some of the many bins of photographs, I came across an image of a woman with several iguanas balanced on her head by Graciela Iturbide

Little people were captured by Livia Corona. Honestly these were a bit freaky.

Then there was Joseph Mills. What can I say? Here's a photographer who decided one day take his photographs; cut up pieces of wood, furniture, suitcases and other household items; a gallon of lacquer and paint; and combine it all together. I can't really describe it any more than that. The fact his work was on display at Hemphill is not a coincidence. And of all places, they're located in Washington, DC. The ironic satire, eh?

Another single photograph that was striking was one taken by Ernst Hass, former Life photographer and Magnum photographer, in 1969 of Route 66 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was a large three colour dye transfer.

Couple things I noticed -
    1. Mona Kuhn images were everywhere - must be the beautiful naked women
    2. Ed Burtynsky was everywhere - must be the large gaping holes in the earth
    3. And images of naked fat people were everywhere - not that there's anything wrong with that

Gallery 19/21 is just down the street in Guildford, CT and this where I bought a Ryuijie platinum print when I was in Photo LA 2007. The owner, besides being very down to earth, had a cute French accent - helps with sales.

Hand painted vintage tintypes were on display at the Gary Edwards Gallery. I found these a bit disturbing. Like colouring black and white movies. It's blasphemous, isn't it?

Now let's pause for a moment and go through the Bill Schwab sightings -
    • We enter the Halsted Gallery booth and there's Bill talking a tall guy and short guy. So, we look around. Beautiful Michael Kenna prints. Nice George Tice prints. Wondering how Bill gets the nice clean borders on his platinum/palladium prints. 20 minutes later, Bill's still talking to the same people. We move on.
    • Come back later and what's Bill doing. Talking to George Tice who appears to be rifling through family pictures. Go into the booth again and look at his work some more. Owner guy looks at us and asks us if we know who Bill is. Sadly we say yes and point him out. Leave again.
    • Walking around we see Bill talking with more people. Who is this guy anyway? The mayor of New York?
    • After talking a mid afternoon snack of a gyros and a Philly cheese steak burger at a corner street vendor, who do we see? Why, it's Bill talking it up some cutey Korean ladies. Very young, very giggly. Bill's enthralled. He's gone to us now!
    • Anyway, heading back to the Halsted booth, we give Wendy my cell number. I figure sometime next year after his smitten 'discussion' with the ladies, he'll call us.
    • Finally around 5pm, Bill calls me and voila! We get to finally talk with him. I have to say he was protesting too much about the cutey Koreans, claiming they were gallery owners, yadda, yadda, yadda, sure Bill. Whatever. Anyway, Bill's a nice guy and I think APUGers should go to his northern Michigan outing. Plus I have to buy another one of his prints. You should too.

The Joseph Bellows Gallery in La Jolla, CA had many interesting photographers.
    1. First were the unique Polaroids by George Schumacher. Now, my Polaroid images never looked this good and I am now embarrassed to show them. The inspiration is that George is a part timer like most of us in APUG.
    2. Then there were out of focus nudes by Robert Heinecken.
    3. And finally there was the Raft of GW Bush - satire of the famous painting the Raft of the Medusa - by Joel Peter Witkin, who's famous for making these large production type images.

The Fahey Klein Gallery had too many great portraits from several artists. Two most notables were the images of the pimp and his girls and the polygamist and his wives.

Finally, I bought another signed first edition book from the Candace Dwan Gallery. People here are much nicer. The book had panoramic works from Finnish photographer Pentti Sammallahti.

So anyway, that was a good day. Too cold to take images afterwards though. Thanks Jim for telling me about AIPAD.

Those of you going this weekend, I know you'll enjoy this show tremendously.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 04-14-2007 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Art
    You give the best reviews , and for anyone here not aware a really talented photographer and plain out good guy.
    thanks for your thoughts on AIPAD
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    So Jim (aj-images) and I went to the AIPAD Photogrpahy Show 2007 yesterday at the Park Avenue Armory. Awesome show. Very similar in concept and size to Photo LA 2007 - except this show did not have lectures or seminars like Photo LA did.

OK so we enter this grand complex and the first I say is Wow! The Park Avenue Armory is a fantastic venue. Large chandeliers, grand lobbies, magnificent staircases with hand carved mahogany handrails, interior details in the mouldngs, large magnificent windows, and too much more to describe here.

So on Jim's insistence to follow a grid pattern, not dis-similar to a search pattern - what are you looking for Jim? Actually this is the best way to go when going one of these. We first did the perimeter and then zig-zagged the interior booths. So these notes are of booths and photographers that had an impact on me. Film photographers only.

First stop was the Peter Fetterman Gallery where several Sebastian Salgado prints amazed me. The three were the quarry in South America, The Penguins and the surreal Iceberg image. Selgado doesn't let grain bother him.

Peter Hugo is a South African photographer who had one image that stood out - a gang of Nigerians who had hyenas as pets. This huge image was shown at the Yossi Milo Gallery booth. I can't help but compare this image to those who have pitbulls as an expression of power. Like some images I have seen of these pitbull, the hyenas are chained and muzzled. The men are displaying their show of fierceness.

Jim introduced me to Rolfe Horn. Just amazing work of his shown at the Scott Nichols Gallery. At the end of the day we went back there and the following conversation ensued:
    • 20 Year Old Looking Rave Dressed Art: I'd like to buy the Rolfe Horn first edition book please.
    • bla, bla, bla ...
    • Decrepit Jim Looking Like a Bum from Jersey: Yeah, I'd like the book and this print too.
    • Snooty Gallery Owner with a jaw dropping look trying to pull his entire leg out of his mouth: Um ... the First Edition too?
    • You know, if these art dealers start to realize there is a market out there who would buy prints as long as they aren't looked down upon by pretentious a$$holes, maybe they would sell more. Dunno? Just a thought.

The Zabriskie Gallery had googlegrams from Joan Fucoberta. These are images made from images searched using Google and stitched together. Not traditional by any means, but I thought it was interesting.

Lots of foreign galleries with great images - here's a couple that impressed me:
    • Daniel Blau Gallery from Munich, Germany.
    • This is the second time I have seen The Picture Photo Space gallery from Osaka, Japan. Again, I loved the work of Kunihiko Katsumata. His work shows industrial city scape horizons where the city is small sliver in the overall scene.
    • Toronto's own Stephen Bulger Gallery showed a couple Edward Burtynsky images of quarries and large ships in dry dock. Part of his Manufactured Landscapes series. As well, there were fine b&w images from Dave Heath.
    • Vee Speers likes to dress up kids with props of machine guns and other firearms, gas masks and dead rats, and an assortment of other stuff that would require a serious model release. Shown at the Josef Lebovic Gallery from Australia.
    • I got a nice desk calendar for free at the Byron McMahon Gallery, also from Australia.

The Charles Isaac Gallery had interesting images from Heather Lin. Haunting images of out of focus shadows.

Industrial power plant images from the photographic duo of Jonathan Anderson and Edwin Low were shown at the David Gallery.

I thought the collage of images of pliers and other tools by Rondal Partridge were interesting. In part they were being shown in the charmingly named Winter Works on Paper Gallery. They also had a series of mug shots with the following provenance - "Photographer: Police Department".

Jeff Thomas, a native Canadian Iroquois, had a series of an Indian figurine in various locations from rail tracks to suburbia. Reminiscent of the travel gnome or the hijacked pink lawn flamingo series. His bio and his study of Indian-ness can be read here: http://www.bruntmag.com/issue2/thomas.html

Looking through some of the many bins of photographs, I came across an image of a woman with several iguanas balanced on her head by Graciela Iturbide

Little people were captured by Livia Corona. Honestly these were a bit freaky.

Then there was Joseph Mills. What can I say? Here's a photographer who decided one day take his photographs; cut up pieces of wood, furniture, suitcases and other household items; a gallon of lacquer and paint; and combine it all together. I can't really describe it any more than that. The fact his work was on display at Hemphill is not a coincidence. And of all places, they're located in Washington, DC. The ironic satire, eh?

Another single photograph that was striking was one taken by Ernst Hass, former Life photographer and Magnum photographer, in 1969 of Route 66 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was a large three colour dye transfer.

Couple things I noticed -
    1. Mona Kuhn images were everywhere - must be the beautiful naked women
    2. Ed Burtynsky was everywhere - must be the large gaping holes in the earth
    3. And images of naked fat people were everywhere - not that there's anything wrong with that

Gallery 19/21 is just down the street in Guildford, CT and this where I bought a Ryuijie platinum print when I was in Photo LA 2007. The owner, besides being very down to earth, had a cute French accent - helps with sales.

Hand painted vintage tintypes were on display at the Gary Edwards Gallery. I found these a bit disturbing. Like colouring black and white movies. It's blasphemous, isn't it?

Now let's pause for a moment and go through the Bill Schwab sightings -
    • We enter the Halsted Gallery booth and there's Bill talking a tall guy and short guy. So, we look around. Beautiful Michael Kenna prints. Nice George Tice prints. Wondering how Bill gets the nice clean borders on his platinum/palladium prints. 20 minutes later, Bill's still talking to the same people. We move on.
    • Come back later and what's Bill doing. Talking to George Tice who appears to be rifling through family pictures. Go into the booth again and look at his work some more. Owner guy looks at us and asks us if we know who Bill is. Sadly we say yes and point him out. Leave again.
    • Walking around we see Bill talking with more people. Who is this guy anyway? The mayor of New York?
    • After talking a mid afternoon snack of a gyros and a Philly cheese steak burger at a corner street vendor, who do we see? Why, it's Bill talking it up some cutey Korean ladies. Very young, very giggly. Bill's enthralled. He's gone to us now!
    • Anyway, heading back to the Halsted booth, we give Wendy my cell number. I figure sometime next year after his smitten 'discussion' with the ladies, he'll call us.
    • Finally around 5pm, Bill calls me and voila! We get to finally talk with him. I have to say he was protesting too much about the cutey Koreans, claiming they were gallery owners, yadda, yadda, yadda, sure Bill. Whatever. Anyway, Bill's a nice guy and I think APUGers should go to his northern Michigan outing. Plus I have to buy another one of his prints. You should too.

The Joseph Bellows Gallery in La Jolla, CA had many interesting photographers.
    1. First were the unique Polaroids by George Schumacher. Now, my Polaroid images never looked this good and I am now embarrassed to show them. The inspiration is that George is a part timer like most of us in APUG.
    2. Then there were out of focus nudes by Robert Heinecken.
    3. And finally there was the Raft of GW Bush - satire of the famous painting the Raft of the Medusa - by Joel Peter Witkin, who's famous for making these large production type images.

The Fahey Klein Gallery had too many great portraits from several artists. Two most notables were the images of the pimp and his girls and the polygamist and his wives.

Finally, I bought another signed first edition book from the Candace Dwan Gallery. People here are much nicer. The book had panoramic works from Finnish photographer Pentti Sammallahti.

So anyway, that was a good day. Too cold to take images afterwards though. Thanks Jim for telling me about AIPAD.

Those of you going this weekend, I know you'll enjoy this show tremendously.

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, what a review! Thanks Art, great read!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Art, a good review. My wife and I were able to attend for about two and a half hours today and loved it. She was eagerly hoping to see some alt process work, and wasn't disappointed in the least. Lots of photogravures, albumen prints, platinum prints (the work of Ryuije is stunning....whenever we can afford it, we'd love to buy some of his prints, as well as the work of Koichiro Kurita), gum prints, and gum dichromates, tintypes, a few daguerotypes and more. There was also a much more liberal distribution of color work this year than in the past, ranging from small to enormous. Plus a typically inspiring collection of marvelous photographs by the usual suspects: Adams to Weston. Bill Schwabs's portfolio was absolutely gorgeous....if you only see his stuff here on line, you're missing a major treat. And, as Art observed, there was terrific stuff by Rolfe Horn, and Michael Kenna and Chip Hooper and other neo landscape photographers. I guess it makes sense to see the show over two days. It's a bit overwhelming all at once, and unless you take notes, which we didn't, only a thorough review of the excellent catalog can jog the memory of all we saw and enjoyed.

Plus....Susan had a nice chat with Joyce Tennyson. I thought that was fun!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    • bla, bla, bla ...

I would have wrote:

A s/n Rolfe Horne book w/original photo: $250.00

A s/n original Rolfe Horne print: $700.00

Watching a grown man poop himself when two guys off the street drop $1300 in 2 minutes: Priceless!

Yes, a good show indeed. It was also great meeting Bill Scwab. Wonderful guy and amazing prints.

Looking forward to shooting in the city this year.

Glad you were able to make it Art,

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin