Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,937   Online: 982

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

NY Gallery Tour on Saturday 14th Starting at ICP

Hi,

As I posted on my regional section, but it would make a sense to post here. I am taking my students to NY galleries on this Saturday.

We will meet in front of ICP at 10:30 and go through ones that are open since they are on summer schedule.

Let me know if you would like to join us. The more the merrier.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tour summary

I had a last minute change in plans which allowed me to join Tsuyoshi and his students from Project Basho on the gallery tour. Here's a summary of the tour. I have added weblinks where I could.

First of all Tsuyoshi is a hoot for a guide! If you never been on a tour with him, you must. Quiet spontaneity. Great guy.

OK, we meet at ICP for four shows. It was a late start as a couple folks missed the bus from Philly, but the show made up for the wait.
    1. African American Portraits
    2. Photos from Steven Shore
    3. Amelia Earhart
    4. Photos from David Seymour

I was especially struck by the Shore images. I have a bajillion photographs like these - raw, out of the norm paces, personal, intimate, quirky, colour. Shore would be a great addition to our postcard exchange. The rest of the installation was just OK to me.

Next we went to 41 57th Street where we visited two galleries. After being sternly instructed to put our cameras away, we were let past the pitbull of a guard and crunched into the gilded elevator. First it was the Bonni Benrubi Gallery on the 13th floor where there was an exhibition of Karine Laval's large joyous colour beach scenes and Jason Langer's black and white images of everyday life at night - close ups of waiters tunics, interiors, streets, etc...

Then it was the Cohen Amador Gallery on the 6th. Mikiko Hara was exhibiting quirky aspects of Japanese everyday life. The howling fuzzy cat inspired a discussion of vision that would rival any thread on APUG!

Lunch was at an ecletic and authentic Japanese soup diner on 56th. A veggie ramen with a side of BBQ pork later and I was ready to go again. The MTA sorta decided our next destination since it bypassed our intended stop at 23rd. Getting out at 14th instead, we made our way to the Rubin Museum of Art. After climbing the long flight of spiral stairs, the exhibition was interesting, not so much for the photography, by Lynn Davis, but for her subject matter - remote human and natural wonders all over the world.

But THE interesting exhibition was really one floor below and the rich symbolism of our tour became clear - guided by a very zen like man (guru?), missed train stop (kharma?), climbing the spiral stairs (Everest?) - an exhibition of artists' interpretation of the Dalai Lamas. One interpretation required a circle of 2 dozen iPODs networked together with cables and speakers called Impermanence. Somehow, I thought that was wrong on many levels. But that's just me.

OK, now we're hiking again to the Chelsea gallery area and we're at Photosphere where we're treated to works by Masato Ozakati and Koichiro Kurita. The former showing openings in abandoned spaces with obvious split grade focus on the opening; the latter showing a more calm series of pond or lake reflections in platinum.

Silverstein Photography was the last gallery stop, but NOT the last stop - yes the adventure continues. Now I'm glad we came here. The current exhibition showed the before and after of contact sheets and the resulting image gemmed from it. Contact sheets from Diane Arbus, Man Ray, Richard Avedon, etc... Don't get me wrong here, but this show gave me HOPE! Lots of it, as I have to say the contact sheets were uninspiring in of themselves. A great show to see if you think your work is crap. Now all that's needed is a publicist and a master printer....

So we head to our first stop in the apres tour event - the Half King Pub where during our pint, we noticed the gritty works of Paolo Pellegrin. Images of the struggle in Lebanon. Up for sale. Beautiful images.

Then another walk, an L train ride to 3rd Ave and yet another walk - did I mention the symbolism with "A Journey to the West?" (this guy Albert would be the Monkey King, right Tsuyoshi?) - and we're at a Japanese izakaya eating kushikatsu, curry pan, omusubi, edamame and imbibing with cold and hot sake. We're having a rich conversation. It was a blast. The walls covered with snapshots of clients, staff, family and friends. A perfect ending.

Thanks Tsuyoshi! And Jerry & Mary (good to see you guys again, hope you can make it to Fort Collins, CO next year), Jerry, Rob, Albert, Albert's brother, Brandie, Andrea, Anissa, and Omar (a fellow APUGer!).
    Last edited by gr82bart; 07-15-2007 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Art,

Thank you for joining us as well as giving a detailed recap of the tour.

I am glad that you had fun going through different galleries though a lot of them were closed.

I was happy to see Lynn Davis's prints at Ruben Museum of Art which came by an accident. I really like the colors of those prints which come from toning with gold as well as selenium. They were very good.

As I talked to people at Fotosphere, we will be showing their photographers at our new gallery in Philadelphia too. They sounded excited that we can show the work of photographers that they represent. I think there is a room for us to work together to bring fresh emerging photographers to both cites.

I had a little too much sake at the Izakaya, so I was a little slow yesterday. Regardless, it was a good trip with a good attendance.

We will come back in fall again.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin