Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,321   Online: 980

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry George, I think two words confused you. "us" means the night outing group, not just you and me, that would be awkward.

"powerful people" I refer to building security guards, doormen, etc... I were hassled sometime by those people. They do have some power, right?

Alex W.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    Sorry George, I think two words confused you. "us" means the night outing group, not just you and me, that would be awkward.

"powerful people" I refer to building security guards, doormen, etc... I were hassled sometime by those people. They do have some power, right?

Alex W.
    I knew what you meant - and stand by what I said.

I an NYC native, I live in NYC, I make my living in NYC.

Quite frankly, I don't shit on where I eat.

G'night

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Folks,

So sorry! OK, here's the lowdown. Since we're shooting at night we'll need tripods. That means we'll need a permit. It's really quite easy to get one and I haven't had any problems ever getting one. Here's a link: http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/pe...prcedure.shtml

Now, it gets more complicated because technically, we'll be a group of two or more. I have a call with the NYC office on Monday. I could not call this week - too busy during their office hours. If it's too complicated, what we'll do is just be a bunch of individuals who happened to meet at the same time. No biggie.

So I think the way to go is - we need to map out a route by Tuesday. Depending on my call on Monday, this is the route you have to write on the permit or I could do it for the whole group. I'll post a note here if everyone needs to do this individually or we're going to do it as a group after I talk with them on Monday.

OK, now that that is out of the way, what's the route?

Oh, let's not debate whether we need this permit or not and what our rights are and whether anyone is going to hassle "us" when we eat. Let's just get the thing and keep it in our back pocket should the need arise, k?

Oh, yeah, the trip is this Saturday, November 10, right Jim?

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That date works for me. As far as a route, I am game for anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Geez Jim, if I knew you were up this early, I'd give ya a call. I thought I was the only insomniac around here...

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not by choice....unfortunately, mail goes out on Saturdays. Check your voicemail.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The date works for me too, and like Jim, I don't care about the route either. Just want to get something done and see what the result is.

Thank you Art and Jim for put this together.

Alex W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK why don't we meet at the front steps of the Post Office building on 7th street just south of Penn Station at 4pm. Sundown is around 5pm these days and twilight is the best time, I find for night photography, especially with tungsten film.

The plan is eventually to land in Times Square around 7pm or later

Now there some others suggestions that were brought up that I haven't incorporated in yet:
    • Pedestrian walkway across the Brooklyn or Queensboro Bridge <-- might be too long a hike
    • Meat Packing District still has some interesting sights <-- lots of stuff to shoot here, plus I've always wanted to shoot the gas station there at night
    • Piers / stumps in the West Hudson River <-- maybe not so good at night, but twilight might work

So who's in?

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    I
    BTW-does anyone know what are the best elevated subway stations in LIC from which to score shots of midtown?
    I know this is a little late, but anyway here goes. Two stops on the #7 train are ok, Queens Plaza and Court House Square. On the F line, try the Smith/9th St. station. Looks out over low rise Brooklyn to lower Manhattan towers in the distance. If not on the subway, Socrates Park in Long Island City offers good views of midtown east. Down under the Manhattan Bridge in Brooklyn, the views of lower Manhattan are excellent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The post office is on 8th, just west of Penn station......I believe

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin