Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,312   Online: 1028

Shooter
    35mm

NY Harbor Cruise October 8

NY Harbor Cruise October 8

A rare look at "tugboat heaven", also known as Kill van Kull. The tour boat will get up close to tugs and freighters in one of the world's busiest shipping channels. Excellent afternoon light for great photography.

www.workingharbor.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went on their last one. Not bad, but we didn't actually make it over to the container port, so I just might go again. Kill van Kull is always great for ships and tugs.

Also, the majority of the crowd were non-photography types "of a certain age" who wanted to sit inside and look out the windows of the upper deck. They got in a huff when we were lined up, standing at the rails and blocking their view.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I went on their last one. Not bad, but we didn't actually make it over to the container port, so I just might go again. Kill van Kull is always great for ships and tugs.
    For the last cruise (August 8) our plans were to sail as far as Shooter's Island at the western end of Kill van Kull. The captain turned too soon and we didn't make it. Due to sound problems, we couldn't communicate with him while we were underway. Won't happen on October 8.

If there's a container ship loading at Howland Hook, we'll take head over there. Otherwise we go right into Newark Bay as far as Port Newark. We can't go into the channels due to security restrictions, but we can get close.

Also, the majority of the crowd were non-photography types "of a certain age" who wanted to sit inside and look out the windows of the upper deck. They got in a huff when we were lined up, standing at the rails and blocking their view.
    The hardcore photographers are up front on the top deck, or on the bow downstairs. The cruise is run as a sightseeing tour, not a photo tour. There were 300 people aboard. I'd say about 10% of the crowd was there strictly to take photos. The rest only wanted a nice sunset cruise, which is what they got. I didn't take too many photos August 8th but I did get one or two keepers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8807c.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby View Post
    For the last cruise (August 8) our plans were to sail as far as Shooter's Island at the western end of Kill van Kull. The captain turned too soon and we didn't make it. Due to sound problems, we couldn't communicate with him while we were underway. Won't happen on October 8.

If there's a container ship loading at Howland Hook, we'll take head over there. Otherwise we go right into Newark Bay as far as Port Newark. We can't go into the channels due to security restrictions, but we can get close.

The hardcore photographers are up front on the top deck, or on the bow downstairs. The cruise is run as a sightseeing tour, not a photo tour. There were 300 people aboard. I'd say about 10% of the crowd was there strictly to take photos. The rest only wanted a nice sunset cruise, which is what they got. I didn't take too many photos August 8th but I did get one or two keepers.
    Crabby, I think I came off sounding harsher than I meant. The part I should have focused on was that I'd go again. I did enjoy the trip. The evening timing was great for light.

I used to go on several of Bernie Ente's cruises a few years ago and the one to Port Elizabeth was fantastic. And as I said, Kill van Kull is always a treat.

Personally, I liked the sides of the middle deck. Up high magnifies the boat movement, and up front didn't allow as much play for framing side-to-side. And the extra bit of height on the middle deck was nice for shooting the tugs.
    Last edited by Terence; 09-12-2007 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bernie,

This looks interesting. I don't think I can go though as it's on a 'working day' though I could always take a day off. I'll wait until closer to the date to decide as my schedule is getting filled up quickly with travel.

One concern I have with this type of tour is the 'gangbang' effect. The image from the link shows a lot of people in a pretty small space, so are people jostling for position like in a paparazzi scrum?

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not on the cruise I went on. The boat is huge. It's one of the big, high-speed catamarans they use for the long commutes, such as down to Sandy Hook. Three decks. The bottom is mostly indoors, but has an outdoor area front and rear. The mid-deck is open to the sides and rear. And the top deck is almost all open except for a windscreen to the front. I didn't have to throw elbows to get a rail-side spot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Zephyr is strictly a sightseeing yacht. One of the most comfortable boats in NY harbor. Plenty of vantage points for photographers. Everyone I've met has come away with dozens of good shots from each cruise.

While most photographers are shooting with digital cameras, I've also seen TLR's, Leicas, and plenty of classic SLR's.

The attached images were taken July 18 in Kill van Kull. I was hosting an overflow crowd on a smaller boat (American Princess) as we completely sold out Zephyr. I directed our captain to head over to Howland Hook so we could watch a freighter unload.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WHC71807X83.jpg   WHC71807X148.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Anyone going (besides me?)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bernie, check your PM. I plan to go tomorrow. Need you to confirm few things.

Thanks,

Alex W.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin