Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,792   Online: 1167

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Disposal of chemicals

Hey all,

What do you all do with your chemicals? I'm thinking of getting a little darkroom together.

Thank you!

- Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kind of chemicals? Most B&W chemicals are far less hazardous than many house-hold chemicals. What I have been reading says in non-industrial quantity, they are safe enough to simply drain them into sewer. That's what I do.

Welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The only basic B&W chemical that our sewer treatment folks don't want to go down the drain (and they are pretty fussy) is used fixer, as they don't like the silver content. So we put aside the used fixer and toners for hazardous waste disposal here at the university.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do take my RA-4 and E-6 bleaches and blixes to the HHW depot adjacent to my nearest landfill transfer station along with the spent fixers and toners.

In the winter I dehydrate all but toners in stainless steel trays left out up high in my garage. They evaporate and freeze away off and on, and by spring there is but a few re-used baby food jars of crusty sludge left to be spatula'ed up of say 4L of blix that started out 3 months prior. By spring there is yard waste to deal with, so no need to dehydrate after then, even though it would go faster if it was not frozen half of the time.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I take my used develloper, fixer and toners to the "déchetterie" (hazardous and non-hazardous waste disposal places in France).

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks much for all your replies. I'm not sure we have "déchetteries" in New York City.

I was kind of hoping some nice New Yorkers would reply also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Hudson?? Joking of course.
    There has to be a few HWD around NYC.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am very fortunate to take my used fixed to Severn Graphics for disposal. The developers go down the sink. Don't use stop so that not a problem because I use water. As for selenium tone it goes down the drain since my ratio to selenium to water is hight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i use a waste hauler to remove all of my spent chemistry, i am on septic.

i am a distributer of the silver magnet ....
    it works very well ...
    if you are interested in learning more about the silver magnet feel free to contact me ..

good luck!
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Medium Format
    lets try to recycle our fixer so we can recycle the silver. Remember silver is a non renewable resource.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin