Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,724   Online: 742

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Saturday Camera Stores

Hello everyone,

I'm somewhat new to the area. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable camera store in NYC, Westchester, or Northern NJ that is open on a Saturday?

I'm so frustrated with B&H, Andorama, Beach Camera, etc. having the most inconvenient hours and shutting their doors for weeks at a time. JR is ok for hardware if you know exactly what you want beforehand, but they cater nearly exclusively to di****l so CVS has better film selection.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    calumet on west 22nd street, also right across the street is fotocare another well stocked store.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always use Unique Photo on rt 46, in Fairfield NJ. I haven't bought ant equipment from them, but I get all my film, and darkroom supplies there. Great staff, and very knowlegable (sp). And there's a coffee shop in the store.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've noticed that a couple of the big camera stores seem to always close on Friday nights through Saturday. I think that if they're shutting their doors at those times it's likely the store is owned by conservative Jewish people. Sabbath starts Friday at Sunset and goes through Saturday. FYI, if they are conservative they cannot just hire some non Jews to run their store on Saturday. It would be a violation of their religion's view on conducting business on a holy day. There are actually some pretty big communities of really conservative Hasidim in NYC and the surrounding area. When I worked there they took the no exchanging $$$ on the Sabbath thing VERY seriously. It's an inconvenience their being closed on certain days, but we can hardly blame them for actually following the rules of their religion. It's no different than some places not allowing liquor stores to open till noon on Sunday if at all. Not everyone lives in a 24/7 all access world. Some people feel they have religious traditions they must still abide by.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by redlineSPI View Post
    ................ CVS has better film selection.
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has noticed this, and it's not just up here in CT I see. The one place that you can walk into and always find a wide (not great) selection of film is CVS. In my area they carry Kodak Gold 200, 400, 800, Ektar 100, BW400CN, 400TX, and 400 High Definition.

As for your camera store plight, I can't help you unless you are willing to take the train to Milford CT, you can actually see Milford photo from the platform of the train station, but they can be hit or miss on film selection as well, I gave up on them after I made a one hour drive down there and they were out of 120 black and white film. Yes, they were out of 120 black and white film, this is a camera store that is a preferred vendor for a college photography program.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magkelly View Post
    I've noticed that a couple of the big camera stores seem to always close on Friday nights through Saturday. I think that if they're shutting their doors at those times it's likely the store is owned by conservative Jewish people. Sabbath starts Friday at Sunset and goes through Saturday. FYI, if they are conservative they cannot just hire some non Jews to run their store on Saturday. It would be a violation of their religion's view on conducting business on a holy day. There are actually some pretty big communities of really conservative Hasidim in NYC and the surrounding area. When I worked there they took the no exchanging $$$ on the Sabbath thing VERY seriously. It's an inconvenience their being closed on certain days, but we can hardly blame them for actually following the rules of their religion. It's no different than some places not allowing liquor stores to open till noon on Sunday if at all. Not everyone lives in a 24/7 all access world. Some people feel they have religious traditions they must still abide by.
    Essentially correct. Orthodox Jews take the restrictions on doing business on the Sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown) very seriously. Also, most Jewish holidays (not all holidays have a restriction against working). And since the holidays begin at sundown, you need to give your employees time to get home by sundown. So, for example, B&H closes at 2pm on Friday.

Conservative Jews (less observant that Orthodox) and Reform Jews (less observant than Conservative) are less restrictive. So, for example, Orthodox Jews may refrain from work the entire holiday, but Conservative Jews just the first day or two.

I assume the website can stay up since as long as it's not taking orders it's passive. I would guess that if there was a problem with the website, repairs would not start until after Sabbath.

Perhaps more than you wanted to know.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by magkelly View Post

I hope my question was not interpreted to be antisemitic in any way. The owners of the stores are more than welcome to run their business however they chose, for whatever reasons they choose. It is unfortunate for both the owners and myself that our schedules do not always align and I am simply looking for an alternative source of material.

Thank you for the help everyone. Caulmet appears to be the place for me this weekend.

CVS is a perfectly good source of a quick roll of film. I've never come across an expired roll on their shelves (yet).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My suggestion...stock up from B&H when they are open. That's what I do. Painless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redlineSPI View Post
    I hope my question was not interpreted to be antisemitic in any way...
    Didn't come across that way to me.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    K&M Camera, which is about two blocks south of Canal on Broadway (west side of the street). Prices are comparable to B&H and Adorama. Calumet is usually a bit more.

Here's a link: http://www.kmcamera.com/
    Last edited by d.sge; 10-13-2010 at 01:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Daniel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin