Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,813   Online: 1160

Shooter
    Multi Format

Interesting places in Long Island?

I've been living in Manhattan for the past 2 years, and I'm finally ready to explore a bit more of the greater NY area. I'm interested in visiting Long Island, mostly because I've never been there and I don't know anything about it! Anyone have any advice on sights to see/photo?

I was considering Stonybrook, though a friend told me it would be difficult without a car, which I don't have since I'm a student in NY . This limits me to areas easily accessed with public transportation, and navigable by foot.

Any advice on areas that are interesting to you?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Port Jefferson. End of the line; nice port about 15 minute walk from the station.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8892...rt%20jefferson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Port Jefferson
    Ahh, this looks pretty cool. Definitely under consideration. Also, great photos! Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Public transportation is your problem - it is really limited on LI to RR stations ( or limited bus routes which take forever to get around.) Why not rent a car for a day? Compared to RR tickets it may not be that much more and would open up a lot more options. Also, the walk from the Port Jeff RR station is downhill to the harbor, the return trip is up hill and I doubt most people could do it in 15 minutes - what will you be carrying?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sokrasins View Post
    I've been living in Manhattan for the past 2 years, and I'm finally ready to explore a bit more of the greater NY area. I'm interested in visiting Long Island, mostly because I've never been there and I don't know anything about it! Anyone have any advice on sights to see/photo?

I was considering Stonybrook, though a friend told me it would be difficult without a car, which I don't have since I'm a student in NY . This limits me to areas easily accessed with public transportation, and navigable by foot.

Any advice on areas that are interesting to you?

Thanks!
    Why not start closer to home, jump on the Subway,
    and visit Brooklyn, or Queens !
    Unfortunately many seem
    to think that Long Island is only Nassau, and Suffolk County.
    It's A Very Long Island !

Although, it's my opinion that it does feel a bit more Calm, and
    Tranquil as you travel east. That's until some BungHole hits the
    horn a nanosecond after the light turns green.

It's A Magnificent Island, with so many diverse environments !
    Probably the most bang for your buck would be a train ride to
    Bayshore ( Maybe a stop at Smoking Als depending on your
    culinary predilection ) and a Ferry over to Fire Island !

Ron

P.S. : To avoid opening an XtraLarge Can O'WhipAss.
    Please say " On Long Island " not In Long Island ...
    Some day you'll thank me for that quick lesson !
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 03-22-2011 at 09:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ron, your post is perfect. Billy Joel couldn't have written it better.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    Ron, your post is perfect. Billy Joel couldn't have written it better.

Leo
    Thanks Leo !

The only thing missing on Long Island, are a few Mountains.

It's A Long Island, But It's Sooo Friggin' Flat ...

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rent a car. Give yourself an entire day to drive 25A from the Queens border all the way out to Port Jefferson. There are a number of great towns you will pass. Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington come to immediate mind for photo ops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rmann View Post
    Public transportation is your problem - it is really limited on LI to RR stations ( or limited bus routes which take forever to get around.) Why not rent a car for a day? Compared to RR tickets it may not be that much more and would open up a lot more options. Also, the walk from the Port Jeff RR station is downhill to the harbor, the return trip is up hill and I doubt most people could do it in 15 minutes - what will you be carrying?
    Most probably I'll be carrying a kata backpack with 35mm and MF kits inside, and perhaps a manfrotto tripod, depending on the difficulty of the trek.

Uphills don't bother me too much. I'm originally from Tennessee, and I've done more than my fair share of hiking in the mountains there. It would actually be nice to see a little more elevation change. I'm always up for a challenge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    Why not start closer to home, jump on the Subway,
    and visit Brooklyn, or Queens !
    First, thanks for a great response! This seems like the wisest advice, and probably what I'll choose to do until I can find more direction regarding a Long Island trip.

It's A Magnificent Island, with so many diverse environments !
    Probably the most bang for your buck would be a train ride to
    Bayshore ( Maybe a stop at Smoking Als depending on your
    culinary predilection ) and a Ferry over to Fire Island !
    I've heard about Fire Island before, all positive comments. I'll look into this, it sounds like some great advice. Also, it should be very interesting to compare this barbecue to that of North Carolina. NC's BBQ is pretty tough competition, IMHO...

P.S. : To avoid opening an XtraLarge Can O'WhipAss.
    Please say " On Long Island " not In Long Island ...
    Some day you'll thank me for that quick lesson !
    Oops! Sorry if I've offended anyone, I'm definitely going to remember this one!

- Stan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin