Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,674   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We seem to be settling on Rocktown, an area of freestanding caprock fragments that can be as high as 70 feet in some places. Very interesting erosional features all over the place. Mostly easy hiking but it is a mile or so from the parking area. Backpack or big wheel strollers for your gear.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Gary, Per your prior post referencing the 5th, are you meaning Feb. or March? Both are saturday's and would be a possibility for me. I'm guessing March - for the knee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH
    Hey Gary, Per your prior post referencing the 5th, are you meaning Feb. or March? Both are saturday's and would be a possibility for me. I'm guessing March - for the knee.
    I have other commitments in March, I was hoping for Feb. hoping the weather is not too frosty or wet. Roctown really is that easy a hike. Plus my knee is recovering very quickly, already its 200% better than before the surgery. In another week I'll be in great shape.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Feb. 5 it is, then. Glad to hear your knee's rehabing quickly.

Now - who else is game??

SH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a good verbal descrption:

http://www.rockcreek.com/articles/cl..._town/home.asp

and a map of the Pigeon Mountain trails:

http://beasleyglb.home.mindspring.com/pigeon2.gif
    Gary Beasley

Images
    Gary PM'd me about this, and I hope to be able to join you.

Either going or coming, you might consider a stop at Paradise Gardens in Penville, the home of the late, but IMHO great, folk artist Howard Finster. I've been there a number of times (it's on one of the Huntsville-Atlanta scenic routes), but haven't been since he died. We plan to stop by and see what shape it's in.

The Lookout Mountain area is full of possibilities: Cloudland Canyon, DeSoto Park, Little River Canyon, and Sandrock, another "rock city" similar to Rocktown.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Images
    BTW, Rocktown is right near Ellison's Cave, home to Fantastic Pit. At almost 600' deep, it's the deepest in the USA. Just down the road is Little River Canyon, the deepest canyon east of the Mississippi River. It's a cool area, but don't tell anyone.

Here are some nicely done photos from Ellison's, and other area caves. Yeah, I know, they're digital, but skillfully done.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And no, we won't be dragging you into those caves. That would require a level of expertise few posess. It took me several years of practice to feel safe doing vertical caves on my own plus all the equipment necessary. If that floats your boat you need to get hooked up with the NSS http://www.caves.org/ .

Hope we can get a good trip up, the weather forecasts seem promising.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This could be interesting too...
    http://www.state.tn.us/twra/cranefest.html
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to hear from you guys. Hope weather permits and you're able to schedule it.
    Scott

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin