Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,192   Online: 782

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Visit to Savannah

I am going to be in Savannah Feb 22-24 for the Allstate Band competition with my wife and horn playing stepson Kevin. Are there any Apuggers in the area to meet or recommend anything new to shoot? We've about wore out the fort and the beach at Tybee and want to see something else interesting. Old architecture would be fun but I'm not sure where I can take a LF camera and get away with it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    Old architecture would be fun but I'm not sure where I can take a LF camera and get away with it.
    Gary,

I've shot all over Savannah with LF cameras with no problems. Everyone except the tourists will think you are an older SCAD student. Have you been to Laurel Grove or Bonaventure Cemtery?

If you have the time hire a boat to take you to Wassau Island.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've shot with LF in Savannah with no problems...in fact I found the locals to be great people who enjoyed engaging me in conversation.

The architecture is great there.

If you have time for a bit of a trip south from Savannah, Jekyll Island is a fun place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Gary,

I've shot all over Savannah with LF cameras with no problems. Everyone except the tourists will think you are an older SCAD student. Have you been to Laurel Grove or Bonaventure Cemtery?

If you have the time hire a boat to take you to Wassau Island.

Don Bryant
    Thanks Don, I'll have to check them out. My wife has heard of Bonaventure but Laurel Grove didn't ring a bell. Whats Wassau like?
    Donald we've been all over Jekyll, fun place! I've got a couple of shots in my gallery from there. I've noticed theres a few plantations around the area, one day we'll want to look them up as well.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    My wife has heard of Bonaventure but Laurel Grove didn't ring a bell.
    Then by all means visit them both, you won't be disappointed. Too bad that Jack Leigh passed away a couple of years ago, if not you could visit his gallery on Olgelthorpe and see his wonderful black and white work.

Whats Wassau like?
    Very primative. It is probably the least disturbed of the barrier islands, uninhabited except for one family that owns a smal parcel on the back side of the island and the park ranger that lives on the island. If you go most likely you will have the island all to your self. It's a hard environment to make photos in and you will need to work for your shots with a large format camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The squares, the old iron fences, the old cemeteries.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    We liked the maritime museum http://www.shipsofthesea.org/. The collection of very large models (8-10 foot) is housed in a beautiful building, Scarbrough House, which was built in 1819 by a local architect. The restoration of the building is wonderful and an easy LF subject. The collection of very large scale ship models would be an great subject if you can gain permission to shoot. If no permission and you enjoy naval architecture it is a wonderful visit without photography.

We loved the fountains in the many squares mentioned above. There are regularly scheduled tour buses traveling a route of scenic high points. You can ride until you see something you like, get off evaluate subject matter, get on the next one with a transfer and continue. When you have selected what interests you, go back with car and gear and shoot.

Enjoy,
    John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's an old Civil War fort down there, though I seem to recall it being an island. Haven't been since 1981. We went down to see the Juliette Low home. She was the founder of the Girl Scouts.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    There's an old Civil War fort down there, though I seem to recall it being an island. Haven't been since 1981. We went down to see the Juliette Low home. She was the founder of the Girl Scouts.
    Yep, Fort Pulaski. I've taken every camera I own there except the 8x10 and wore myself out. Great place to spend some time.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have only been a couple of times, and managed to get into Savannah for a few hours. The cemeteries are very nice, and interesting. Always found the alley behind the buildings along the river walk really nice right at dusk and after, as well as the cobble stone road (wet looks best to me). And of course the bridge that spans the Savannah river is interesting...all that said, have never been there for fun, always work so never got to try any photography there....lucky you.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin