Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,877   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A couple of maps from Topo Zone of the area:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails raven_cliff_map.jpg   raven_cliff_map_detail.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake Sims
    Count me in, of course if schedule allows. I'd love to be able to shadow some people using 8x10 or other large format. If anyone had some extra gear, I'd love to possibly borrow/rent some equipment for the trip! I'm just itching to get into the large format world after several years in 35mm.

Fall color is gorgeous up in the N. Georgia mountains if you can time it right, which is just a crapshoot. Be aware that Helen has a large Oktoberfest celebration most of that month. It can be dicey getting rooms and if you do, you'll pay a little more for them. Not a problem if camping.
    I have two kits, one 8x10 and one 4x5. If you are capable of backpacking a 40lb pack you are welcome to shadow me. I was only planning on bringing my 4x5 Anba.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wenthusiast
    Sounds like a great place to camp/photograph. Probably need to be sometime in Sept or Oct for us. Not available all weekends. Let us know!
    Looks like early September is the soonest I'll be able to make it myself. Which weekends would you prefer to make it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Gary,

Thanks for the offer! I think 40 lbs. sounds like a reasonable weight for an 8x10 outfit. It would certainly help me determine if my romantic idea of my future in the format is out of touch with reality or not! I'd love to shadow you and see how its done.

As far as the schedule, I am starting graduate school in a few weeks and don't have a handle on specific days or weekends yet. As far as I know early September sounds great.

Thanks again,
    Blake

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm in the same boat as Blake as far as grad school, but September sounds good to me as well right now.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Count me in as well Gary. Other than Sept 9-10 I'll be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, how about we plan on Sunday the 17th for the shoot. Jeff has recommended we meet at the parking area, which is pretty central to a lot of us. I recommend folks close to each other or enroute to another further out contact each other for carpooling to cut expenses. I can host one or two folks at the house if you are travelling in from out of state so email me if you need the help.
    Meeting time needs to be fairly early but travel considerations dictate no earlier that 10 am for a lot uf us. Opinions?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sunday the 17th works for me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Directions to the parking area
    http://georgiatrails.com/maps/raven.html
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We just got back from a drive in the mountains and checked out the trailhead. Plenty of parking and there is plenty of primitive campsites on past the parking area for those so inclined. We used our DeLorme laptop GPS to lead us out there and it only took us 1 1/2 hours to get there from our doorstep. The route took us to the outskirts of Cleveland from the west via the outskirts of Dahlonega and straight on to the scenic parkway. The parking area for Dukes Creek Falls is within a stones throw, Dodd Creek with Raven Cliff Falls being a branch of Duke Creek. On the way back we roamed west and wound up at Turners Corner Cafe where I had a very good barbeque sandwich, best I'd had in a while. The meat was stewed in the sauce and the flavor was sweet and spicy! We passed Unicoi, the two DeSoto Falls, Helton Falls and the Waters Creek area with it's three or four falls on the way home, so if you still want to shoot as you retreat theres no lack of quarry!
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin